Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

In your opinion - What made 21 so big?

SlaeUrAnus

Featured Posts

SlaeUrAnus

Here is mine in a short summary: 

From a period where music was all (mostly) about s-x, d--gs and money; Adele came around (when no one outside the UK knew who she was) with relatable lyrics, great productions (SFTTR and RITD are amazing) and single handedly outshone everyone in the industry with her voice.

In my messy era.

inuborg
3 minutes ago, SlaeUrAnus said:

Here is mine in a short summary: 

From a period where music was all (mostly) about s-x, d--gs and money; Adele came around (when no one outside the UK knew who she was) with relatable lyrics, great productions (SFTTR and RITD are amazing) and single handedly outshone everyone in the industry with her voice.

I literally came here to say all of this. 

I root for you. I love you. You, you, you, you.

The Child

Cause she was the anti Gaga while everybody else was a Gaga clone. Besides, GP was getting tired of Gaga.

‘If religion be the cause of disunity, then irreligion is surely to be preferred.’ ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

Bambino

You pretty much answered your question. The songs were love songs, relatable and simple, and she didn't have to do much to impress the public besides her great voice.

1 minute ago, Bambino said:

You pretty much answered your question. The songs were love songs, relatable and simple, and she didn't have to do much to impress the public besides her great voice.

Exactly what I was about to say. Heartbreak is nearly universal, at least when it comes to adults (aka the majority of individuals who bought the album), and she's got a b---hin' voice, so it's not really hard to see why it was so successful. 

CRYSTAL CASTLES // AMNESTY (I)

SlaeUrAnus
7 minutes ago, Bambino said:

I guess so, but there is tonnes of albums out there about love that never saw the light of day.

In my messy era.

SweetEscape
12 minutes ago, Bambino said:

Well said tbh :applause: 

Fiona Apple

It was at the right time. People was bored of dance music.. Also it had success because of Adele's voice and the AMAZING songs on the album

mucinex

bandwagon and importance of looking cool and emotional in front of your friends. "i listen to drake and adele" made people think they were cool yet different and emotional:rip: 

i'm only half serious, there were of course people who enjoyed the music and for good reason, it is quality entertainment :neyde: don't get me started on the tragic album design tho

StrawberryBlond

1) Being launched on an international scale at the right time. When the world was drowning in dance music, Adele seemed much more talented than she actually was. Any other balladeer could have been in her position.

2) Having a very supportive team and massive promotional budget behind her. She got the buzz that she didn't get from her debut and her PR was on fire. There was a lot of money and effort involved in making sure everyone knew and cared who she was in the run up to the album's release because suddenly, everyone cared about her for 21 whereas they didn't for 19.

3) The album was full of extremely cliched songs about heartbreak. Any hack writer can do this stuff. Most of her songs aren't better than what your average brokenhearted writer comes up with. But it sells, boy does it sell. Breakup albums are some of the world's bestsellers for a reason - people like relatable stuff like this, no matter how many times they've heard similar lyrics.

4) She looked and acted "real." The public were bored of pretension and big egos at this time, so in comparison, she seemed like one of us. By being a bigger girl and not being intimidatingly gorgeous, she was likeable to the very superficial public who tend to look down on very pretty artists, assuming they must be b---hy. I think if Adele was a size zero blonde Pamela Anderson clone, she wouldn't have sold anywhere near as much as she did because the public simply don't want to believe a beautiful, glamourous woman is real.

Someone else will take her place in the next few years, just watch.

Riot Poof

People incapable of finding similar music, thus praising the album to high heavens because it was so ~different~ and ~real~ made it so big. :green:

(Don't come for me... I'm legit listening to 21 rn.)

I'm not a woman. I'm not a man. I am something that you'll never understand.

Whispering

What kept 21 at number one for months? What made 21 an album that sold 100,000+ week after week for months? 

Quite simply, it was mostly word of mouth...the  most powerful marketing tool for any good or service! People that bought 21 early on told their friends, family members and coworkers how great the album was and those people then bought the album, loved it and then told their friends, family members and coworkers about it....and the impact became bigger and bigger! 

It was a great album that a wide demographic of people could relate to and they thought it was such a good album that they wanted to share that information with the people in their life. Word of mouth...can't beat it! 

Archived