💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Would Iggy Azalea be taken more seriously if she was black?

StrawberryBlond

Featured Posts

StrawberryBlond

Seeing as the other thread about Beyonce being taken more seriously if she was white ended up a big mess, going off topic and we eventually talked about this very topic anyway, I think it's for the best if this had its own topic.

So, just like the title says, would being black make Iggy more respected? I've expressed my somewhat controversial views on this idea before and while not everyone agreed, there were plenty who did. I think blacks do have a higher standing in urban music, especially rap, so are therefore more likely to command respect from critics and the public whereas whites, even if they're good, generally have to fight to be taken seriously and don't get the same praise. We are conditioned to believe that only blacks can rap, so when a black person announces they're going to rap, we automatically assume they're going to be good. If it's a white person, we assume they're going to be bad unless proven otherwise (and even when we are, the praise usually isn't as high even so). For all the claims that whites get more awards than blacks, this simply isn't true. The most awarded rappers in history are black. Eminem's the only white one who's remotely close. And if a white person, does win, they usually feel they have to apologise for "stealing" the award from a "deserving" black rappers. This would never happen in reverse, so why is it acceptable for whites to feel this way? And very few white rappers achieve huge success. Eminem's the only one has. Everyone else has been one hit wonders or still are unknown quantities at this stage. A lot of them disappear into obscurity as quickly as they've arrived while black rappers, no matter how good or bad they are, seem to stay around for a long time.

I think Iggy is just as good or better than most of the new crop of rappers. I think her flow's good and her songs are good. And I'm sure if she were black, she'd be getting praised massively. We've seen from the kinds of raps that have become popular recently that the bar is set extremely low, so why is she so much worse? I know a lot of people don't like Iggy's rapping or her music and they're entitled to their opinion. But I would just like them to consider another way of looking at things and wonder if race is playing a bigger role than they think.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Warholian

Likely. I don't like rap in the slightest but Iggy Azalea really doesn't seem any worse than say Nicki Minaj, even better. 

Kevin Parker, Mac Demarco, Mark Ronson, and a stoned Lady Gaga. Need I say more?

Paper Gangsta
3 minutes ago, dicsoheave865 said:

:(no. Macklemore and Eminem are huge selling rappers and they are white. @Haroon remov this thread

they are males 

Haroon
1 minute ago, dicsoheave865 said:

:(no. Macklemore and Eminem are huge selling rappers and they are white. @Haroon remov this thread

It doesn't seem to be flamebaity or disrespectful to warrant a lock, the OP's bringing about a discussion in a mature manner and hopefully the posts will follow suit :P If things go haywire then yes it'll be locked :O Also if you think a thread's not appropriate then please report it so all of the moderators recieve a notification :) 

GloZell Green

Nope, on the contrary, she has an advantage being white because her bad music is supported for her "strength" to come out when white rappers aren't really common. She's like another Eminem (his music sucks too) :neyde: I only support Brooke Candy tbh 

Lady Gaga | Shakira

Paper Gangsta
2 minutes ago, GloZell Green said:

Nope, on the contrary, she has an advantage being white because her bad music is supported for her "strength" to come out when white rappers aren't really common. She's like another Eminem (his music sucks too) :neyde: I only support Brooke Candy tbh 

they are common, it's just that they don't succeed so they just stop with it

President Biden
2 minutes ago, Haroon said:

It doesn't seem to be flamebaity or disrespectful to warrant a lock, the OP's bringing about a discussion in a mature manner and hopefully the posts will follow suit :P If things go haywire then yes it'll be locked :O Also if you think a thread's not appropriate then please report it so all of the moderators recieve a notification :) 

IkOk

I got drunk

Bloody

She's white and woman of course people would judge her either way.I think they need to give her a break she doesn't deserve all that backlash. She's not the best rapper neither the worst. If you like her music listen to it if not just don't bother, it's so simple.

Archived