💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Spin: Iggy delivers the worst rap of 2015 on Kingdom Come

Benji

Featured Posts

Demi Lovato just released her fifth studio album, Confident, which was preceded by the stellar singles “Cool For the Summer” and its title track, both (unsurprisingly) Max Martin productions. In the lead-up to Confident, fans heard plenty from the singer about her collaboration with friend Iggy Azalea, a track called “Kingdom Come,” produced by Steve Mac (Charli XCX’s “Break the Rules,” Kelly Clarkson’s “A Moment Like This”). Today, the duet finally arrived.

At its worst, “Kingdom Come” is a sonic copycat of Katy Perry’s 2013 “Dark Horse” and Azalea’s own “Black Widow” from 2014, tracing the pre-chorus of Sia’s “Chandelier” with very see-through graph paper. The real travesty comes when Iggy’s verse kicks in — “Gather around, now I’m back from my holiday / ‘Long live the Queen’ what the people say” — with introductory bars that are both misguided and, if maybe meant to be satirical or winking, arrive with a thud.

There are structural, rhythmic, and simple AABB rhyme scheme problems with Azalea’s verse from the start: “And that be me, I got a king in my cavalry / Them other knights, say goodnight, they get apathy,” she drawls in her regularly critiqued, heavily (fake) accented vocals, shooting from half-court trying to link “cavalry” and “apathy” and coming up an acre short. That same issue happens later too (“Is that trouble like Mary Kate and Ashley? / Incredible, I’m ready if you ask me”).

Beyond the paltry lyrics, Azalea’s cadence and flow are so completely muddled here that it’s easy to make the argument that the verse was recorded so quickly and haphazardly that nobody thought, “Hey, this could use a Take Two.” She stumbles on her words, stringing syllables together in a marvelous flameout of mush-mouth, measure after measure.

Sure, it’s hard to call this the worst verse of the year — SPIN simply hasn’t heard every single rap verse recorded and/or released in 2015 — but of those we’ve come across, and those we’ve listened to with open ears, Iggy Azalea’s rap on “Kingdom Come” is just the absolute worst.

http://www.spin.com/2015/10/iggy-azalea-demi-lovato-kingdom-come-new-song-worst-rap-verse-of-2015-confident/

---------------------------------------

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN

friday-damn.gif

These articles are not playing any more. Poor Iggy Iggs.

Listen to Kingdom Come here! (Pitched) -

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DiscoHeaven23

People are so awful to her. I feel like many news outlets write negatively about her to get hits and likes because that seems to be the in thing to do now. 

People are so awful to her. I feel like many news outlets write negatively about her to get hits and likes because that seems to be the in thing to do now. 

Or maybe its because she really is a bad rapper :madge: 

Signature loading… 👹🖤

SissyFromSpace

The Rap Genre as a whole is trash. The Rap Genre loves to focus about Iggy Azalea, a white female rapper, but why aren't they focusing on the Rappers who are mocking Emmeitt Till's death? or the rappers who constantly rap about homophobia, abuse towards women, s-xism and immoral corruption in general?

Iggy's verses/flow might be trash to many but stop thinking as if she's destroying the Rap genre as a whole because the Rap/HipHop genre has been in the pits for the longest.

Barbie elitist - Weaboo - Sissy

That rap is dreadful though, there's no way to put it nicely. I don't even think she tried :sharon:

DiscoHeaven23

Or maybe its because she really is a bad rapper :madge: 

As a journalist there are ways you can critique her without sounding like Regina George

Pity Party

How are people not tired of hating on her yet? I'm not a fan of her music but my god move one people.

SissyFromSpace

Meanwhile, #1GGY is performing for a sold out arena and making $$$. Queen continues to brand herself while the haterZZZ suffer w/their flop faves :rip:

tumblr_static_tumblr_static__640.gif

Barbie elitist - Weaboo - Sissy

Medication

iggy will always be a hot topic. love her or hate her she always inside somebodys mouth which equals more buzz for her. haters!

take your time now, there's no need to rush. ❣

Now that I think about it, it probably is. :lolly: 

Finally feeling free for the night, I got no worries. Finally got a claim on my life, baby, c'est la vie. ☄️

inuborg

She sounded like she was in distress. Like she was having a stroke. Why did no one step in the booth to help her? :ohno: 

I root for you. I love you. You, you, you, you.

andy232000

i agree the song is good but iggy´s part ****s on it. besides this album lacks originality. im currently listening to it and 3 songs have the same breakdown and pitch harmonies (kingdom come, waiting for you, old ways) and im barely on the 4 song...good jams but im sick of the same re-hash technique  

DrewStevens

Her verse is very basic and quite stupid but it's not the worst of the year. Some people who dislike her give her more attention than her real fans.

I mean there's Back Together by Robin Thicke and Nicki Minaj.

"I get more head than when they noddin’
Kitty on fleek, it’s popping, I’m Mary Poppins

I said, “ring, ring, ring, ring, ra-ring, ring
Put a ring on it or ding, da-ding, ding”"

:rip: 

Archived