Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Can Lady Gaga manage to be the next "Lady Gaga"?

Voltaire

Featured Posts

Voltaire

Well, no, I don't think so because it's already too late for that. Gaga had her explosion of fame but then it passed away. When people think of Lady Gaga now I don't think they think of her success six years ago faster than her popular reputation of being eccentric and weird.

I don't think digital media made a significant difference in that regard. Previous decades are full of one hit wonders. I think Gaga just hasn't shown enough rebound skill. Rihanna had her commercial failures as well but she kept reinventing herself musically and visually (in a more concentrated way) to capture people's attention over and over again. Gaga didn't get a spotlight because of some songs (Rihanna, Katy,...), she earned the spotlight for being unlike anyone else. That's the spotlight you gotta keep. For an artist like Rihanna it's about keeping releasing good, catchy songs. For an artist like Gaga, the bops don't matter as much as keeping up her game of being different and eccentric.

So then, what makes you think that LG5 couldn't be the "finally learned what needs to happen" rebound? On the heels of the Oscars performance when even Glen Beck (booo) was calling her a living legend.

The pop world may be acting like she's faded. The world of musicians, record execs, and icons is certainly not.

Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker

RebeldeFaith

Does that mean in a few years Time Magazine will refer to them as "sorta like the Lady Gaga of Heavy Metal" like they did with Madonna?

:toofunny:

The mess if the do that. :wtf:

Something something idk

Didymus

So then, what makes you think that LG5 couldn't be the "finally learned what needs to happen" rebound? On the heels of the Oscars performance when even Glen Beck (booo) was calling her a living legend.

The pop world may be acting like she's faded. The world of musicians, record execs, and icons is certainly not.

Well, that's because she presented herself to the public as an eccentric character that made perfectly innocent (on the surface) pop tunes but really was smart, talented and had something to say. But after 2009 she froze and for many people (incl. me) it seemed like she was just saying the same thing over and over and over again and she lost that touch for what would be next level as a pop song or a pop video. Mix that with a sole focus on her fanbase (which for many people means: teenage gays, theatrical girls,...) and that's when a public abandons you.

The world of musicians etc. focus on her talent. But talent and fame have absolutely nothing to do with each other. If Gaga continued to decrease in popularity and her albums didn't even chart in a Top 50 those same musicians and icons will still have her back because it has nothing to do with fame or impact, but just integrity and talent (that they only notice and acknowledge because she makes a lot of public appearances of course).

I have no idea what a good rebound would be and I can't really imagine myself in her position because I would've already done so much different to not even be in this position :air:

Not just catering to her fanbase seems to be a good decision tho :madge: When i see her performing at festivals in 2008/early 2009 I take a good look at the crowd and see the difference with now. She became a fanbase act instead of a figure everyone wants to see.

ARTUNiCORN

Well, that's because she presented herself to the public as an eccentric character that made perfectly innocent (on the surface) pop tunes but really was smart, talented and had something to say. But after 2009 she froze and for many people (incl. me) it seemed like she was just saying the same thing over and over and over again and she lost that touch for what would be next level as a pop song or a pop video. Mix that with a sole focus on her fanbase (which for many people means: teenage gays, theatrical girls,...) and that's when a public abandons you.

The world of musicians etc. focus on her talent. But talent and fame have absolutely nothing to do with each other. If Gaga continued to decrease in popularity and her albums didn't even chart in a Top 50 those same musicians and icons will still have her back because it has nothing to do with fame or impact, but just integrity and talent (that they only notice and acknowledge because she makes a lot of public appearances of course).

I have no idea what a good rebound would be and I can't really imagine myself in her position because I would've already done so much different to not even be in this position :air:

Not just catering to her fanbase seems to be a good decision tho :madge: When i see her performing at V Festival in 2009 I take a good look at the crowd and see the difference with now. She became a fanbase act instead of a figure everyone wants to see.

It's sad. You're implying that Gaga is over in terms of fame and GP love, right?
Actually I think that LG5 is really important album for her. She has to bring something new to the table. Otherwise, she will become Christina Aguilera 2.0. 
:saladga:

Didymus

It's sad. You're implying that Gaga is over in terms of fame and GP love, right?Actually I think that LG5 is really important album for her. She has to bring something new to the table. Otherwise, she will become Christina Aguilera 2.0. :saladga:

Not over, but I think she's seen as one of the pop girls instead as the one that's ahead of the pop girls and really swinging the sceptre over the whole pop industry. I think people would actually think of other artists earlier right now..

I don't see that as a problem, but it definitely means that she couldn't continue that huge bomb of success that she had exploded on herself in 2008/09/early 10. I don't want that to define her career forever :rip: So in my opinion, she only has two choices: work her way back up the charts or just ditch playing along with the industry once and for all and gain new respect that has nothing to do with her commercial success.

Voltaire

Not just catering to her fanbase seems to be a good decision tho :madge: When i see her performing at festivals in 2008/early 2009 I take a good look at the crowd and see the difference with now. She became a fanbase act instead of a figure everyone wants to see.

"She became a fanbase act instead of a figure everyone wants to see."

I couldn't pin it, but you just have. Back during TF and TFM monster, all my friends (with very diverse tastes) were all into it. Those albums were treated like "must haves".

The place I disagree with you is that I do think she has the ability to change that course and I think her clever manager and team have already begun doing it. The coup de tat thus far being the Oscars performance that prssed the reset button and caused everyone from truck drivers to grandmas to say "now wait just a minute!"

I agree with what you're saying, but I am more optimistic about what LG5 and it's era are going to be able to accomplish.

Didymus

The place I disagree with you is that I do think she has the ability to change that course and I think her clever manager and team have already begun doing it. The coup de tat thus far being the Oscars performance that prssed the reset button and caused everyone from truck drivers to grandmas to say "now wait just a minute!"

Oh of course I think she can change :nick: Did I imply somewhere she couldn't? I didn't mean it that way in any case. She's definitely preparing her way back to public consciousness (I mean as in: she becomes a major player again), it's just a question of what she will do with that new-found attention. And I'm not that optimistic there just because she ****ed it up once already :green:

I have always identified her fanbase as the main obstacle & I still agree with that today. I think her biggest rebound can come from stepping away from them a bit. But I mean, honestly, that won't happen which probably explains my pessimistic bias in my posts.

Bette Davis

Lol and some people deny she has had any impact :toofunny: no other popstar in the last ~15 years has had that level of impact on every aspect of culture.

I think what you're basically asking is can she have that level of influence and success again? To a degree I think so, but her approach has to be different this time around, and so far she seems to be playing her cards right. She isn't going to be that avant-garde, alien popstar from a different planet though; she will need to evolve. With some radio hits, hot fashion, display of undeniable talent and iconic videos she could be on top and on the tips of everyones' tongues again.

Cold as ice cream, but still as sweet.

Riot Poof

I wanna be optimistic and say that LG5 will be her second peak. :pray:

I'm not a woman. I'm not a man. I am something that you'll never understand.

Voltaire

Lol and some people deny she has had any impact :toofunny: no other popstar in the last ~15 years has had that level of impact on every aspect of culture.

I'm glad you noticed that there was a reason I listed as many as I did. :gaycat:

Bette Davis

I'm glad you noticed that there was a reason I listed as many as I did. :gaycat:

Its a very well done list. Thanks for putting it together (assuming you did?) :kissga: I'm going to quote it when people start accusing her of being uninfluential ;)

Cold as ice cream, but still as sweet.

Voltaire

Its a very well done list. Thanks for putting it together (assuming you did?) :kissga: I'm going to quote it when people start accusing her of being uninfluential ;)

I did. And believe it or not, I left out quite a few. Including some controversial ones such as the one comparing Marina. Use it whenever you'd like!

Archived