💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Would Aura have been more successful than Applause as a lead single?

Warholian

Featured Posts

Warholian

It's no surprise that the initial rollout of ARTPOP wasn't to Gaga's complete happiness, with Applause not even being the originally planned lead single for the album. I don't think she's ever said it in an interview, but it was quite obvious that Aura was meant to act as a single and a sequel to Paparazzi and Telephone with Beyonce, her even saying that a collaboration with Beyonce was in the works for ARTPOP, as well as the beginning of the song setting up a situation where Gaga has killed her accomplice on the road. Instead of this, the song was somehow allowed to be pushed to be used on Machete Kills, losing all credibility as something the public would enjoy.

So, if we assume Gaga originally wanted Aura as the lead single with a music video collaboration with Beyonce, do you think it would've had more global success than Applause? In my personal opinion, Aura has the most potential to be a massive hit out of all the songs on ARTPOP. Not necessarily my favourite, but definitely the most marketable to the public especially with the Beyonce collaboration. 

I mean, come on. Imagine that guitar opening playing as gaga emerges at the VMAs. Icon.

Anyways, what are your guys' thoughts? 

Kevin Parker, Mac Demarco, Mark Ronson, and a stoned Lady Gaga. Need I say more?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DietCoke

No, I don't think it'd've done well. Aura is too complex lyrically, conceptually, and production-wise. Applause is simple production-wise and structurally. The theme is out there but that's it. (A P P L A U S E MAKE IT REAL LOUD :lolly:)

DiscoHeaven23

God no. When Aura leaked the GP laughed at it. I really like Applause and think it was a good first single choice. The only one that I think could've been bigger as a lead is DWUW. 

barcodemonster

Aura chart run prediction as lead single: 

*9 8 8 9 13 18 24 out

scan my barcode

RodeckDanny

i think it could have reached a #3 or #4 just because of the chorus. 

Listen to my debut pop single 'Want You Bad'! (link on Insta)

aaronyoji

hell yeah, it was the quickest biggest google search of that week, or something (?) and if it was officially announced that it'd be the telephone continuation people would've payed attention. its so much more insanely "gaga" and ear catching. to jump the gun and say no to releasing it as a first single is to defy every thing gaga stands for, where would bad romance be if that constantly happened? exactly. 

Thomas P

maybe.

I like aura more than applause, but I don't know if the gp would

I’m a simple guy to please, if you like Melodrama, we chill.

Whispering

God no. When Aura leaked the GP laughed at it. I really like Applause and think it was a good first single choice. The only one that I think could've been bigger as a lead is DWUW. 

You are one hundred per cent right! Everyone I knew that heard it (who were not in any way Gaga haters) were like...WTF is this? The fans here may have liked it, but casual fans and the GP thought it was awful.

Gaga and her team absolutely made the right choice with Applause! It stayed in the top 5 on iTunes for months and it did what it was supposed to do! 

thefamebitch

There's absolutely, positively no ****ing way it would have performed better than applause. If Aura was released in competition to Roar and other singles at the time, it wouldn't have made the top 10 I bet. Aura is a nice album track, but as a lead single for an album following a tour cancelation it would not have been what anyone remotely interested in Gaga would have wanted at that time. 

Archived