💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

The Do What U Want Effect?

Quark

Featured Posts

Quark

o<(0_0)>o

As you all know DWUW, released back in 2013, sounded very fresh on the radio primarily because of its 80s baseline sound. The GP had not heard such a baseline on mainstream radio for a while. But now with songs like Style by Taylor Swift, and many others, this type of sound seems to be one of the big trends. So do you think DWUW caused some sort of influence on these songs? Could this be considered a DWUW Effect? Or is it just a coincidence, and Gaga was simply ahead of her time? 

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Miel

I've been thinking about this for a while. idk if DWYW started it, but it definitely was one of the starting ones.

Jealous, Nick Jonas

Style, Taylor Swift

Love Me Harder, Ariana Grande

3 points in and ready for more

Gianni Versace

The vintage, RnB sound was already popular in 2013, though. DWUW was basically Gaga's version of Get Lucky and Blurred Lines. 

Koreku

Ahead of her time as usual. :pray:  Jealous by nick jonas is also like this.

You don't deserve a point of view if the only thing you see is you.

Quark

I've been thinking about this for a while. idk if DWYW started it, but it definitely was one of the starting ones.

Jealous, Nick Jonas

Style, Taylor Swift

Love Me Harder, Ariana Grande

Or the new single by Sage The Gemini Ft Nick Jonas Good Thing. And there is also another song by Maroon 5 that sounds like this.

Quark

The vintage, RnB sound was already popular in 2013, though. DWUW was basically Gaga's version of Get Lucky and Blurred Lines. 

DWUW may be R&Bish, but it sounds nothing like those two songssongs (Those songs are not even R&B, they are more funk). They also don't have that 80s baseline that I am talking about. 

Economy

its hard to say that it was DWYW that helped start it... truth is, changes in trends are usually influenced by multiple factors. People like to point to this or that but theres usually a lot more to it...

it may have had an influence who knows...

but considering it wasnt a massive hit (it was a normal hit), it didnt have a released video, didnt have huge longevity...

I dont see how that song alone would of created a trend. at best it had minor influence

Tbh, i could of pictured Taylor Swift releasing a song like "style" on a pop album regardless of any influence tbh :shrug:

Quark

its hard to say that it was DWYW that helped start it... truth is, changes in trends are usually influenced by multiple factors. People like to point to this or that but theres usually a lot more to it...

it may have had an influence who knows...

but considering it wasnt a massive hit (it was a normal hit), it didnt have a released video, didnt have huge longevity...

I dont see how that song alone would of created a trend. at best it had minor influence

Tbh, i could of pictured Taylor Swift releasing a song like "style" on a pop album regardless of any influence tbh :shrug:

It was a big radio hit in the U.S. And many artists pay attention to Gaga just because she is Gaga.

Ferrer Zorola

I don't know if it's the baseline (I know nothing about music) but boom clap reminds me A LOT of Do What u Want 

LIFE IS GOOD

Economy

It was a big radio hit in the U.S. And many artists pay attention to Gaga just because she is Gaga.

​it was a big hit but not a mega hit... now sure, artists pay attention to Gaga... but the hit wasnt massive enough or impactful for artists to wanna purposely copy i dont think

What was it about it that would make artists think it was like a new trend? Gaga has released a wide variety of styles and tempos, the odds that at least 1 of those styles would by coincidence pick up is not that low, it doesnt mean she caused it

Fans like to overthink... its like in TF era... they like to say she started electro-pop... i say yes and no...

I think she solidified it cause her impact was huge and she had an influence... but based on hits that came out shortly before Gaga, like hits from Cascada, William, Britney Spears etc... radio was already beggining a transition to more dancy upbeat and electronic type music even before Gaga came out... the only thing Gaga did was speed up the evolution

In this case with DWYW the impact was not half as large aas she was during TF era, it was just 1 song, and i see no real reason to assume its impact was that big tbh :shrug:

elijahfan

​I'd say Fashion! was Gaga's version of those sounds tbh

Archived