Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

What was the moment when Gaga established herself as no ordinary Popstar?

SlaeUrAnus

The moment when Gaga established herself as no ordinary Popstar?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. What was the moment?

• Poker Face video
    • Paparazzi video
    • 2009 VMA Performance
    • Bad Romance video
    • Telephone/Alejandro eras
    • Born This Way
    • Other

Featured Posts

Bebe

She really has been different since the beggining. The first time I really was shocked and realised how different she was, was 2009 VMA performance. She was like a Britney/Christina blonde popstar type mixed with performance sensibilities of Alice Cooper.

Hola Soraya

When this happened

:lmao::lmao:

¿Tú me estás hablando en inglés?

tomfrench

Poker Face as a single and its music video DEFINITLY 

with all the performance she did with, an ordinary pop star wouldn't have released such a track and video... that entrance out the pool between 2 dogs...

LoveandMagic

Definitely by the 2009 VMA performance, but the Paparazzi video REALLY stood out I think. 

Just repeat to yourself, "It's just a show. I should really just relax."

XoXoJoanneGaga

Poker Face as a single and its music video DEFINITLY 

with all the performance she did with, an ordinary pop star wouldn't have released such a track and video... that entrance out the pool between 2 dogs...

​Absolutely, when she came out of that pool that was the moment she really arrived, people were already hyping her as the next MJ-level pop icon.

Slayer

It depends. I think that "moment" has happened again and again throughout her career. Even after the Oscars performance, people were still saying "wow, I had no idea she could sing, I just thought she was a manufactured media puppet, blah, blah, blah". She is constantly surprising people and changing expectations.

With that said, I think the first moment this happened was the VMAs 2009 performance. 

I love judas SO MUCH but I canʹt look like a copycat of JLO!!!!

moonboywow

When I saw her perform on snl the first time. The orbit. I knew then that she's punk pop. She's always been "no ordinary pop star" because of her attitude. That NYC punk rock attitude. 

Kate Bush

Since "poker face" she changed the whole game!

but in the 2009 vma she was like "BAM!!! EAT IT BASiC BITCHES"

Alfonso

I think it was just a culmination of things, like people started noticing the time and effort that went into each and every thing she did as opposed to random one-off music videos or performances. As in when Paparazzi came out people were impressed but may not have looked into it too much, then Bad Romance came out and they were blown away, then Telephone came out and they were again stunned at how great it was :flutter: The fact that she kept going from strong video to strong video (and performances) is what I think made people take notice that she's definitely not a flash in the pan, and is quite the force to be reckoned with :gaga: 

​this, I actually think that Gaga is the type of person that keeps proving that she came to stay on the business; proving that she´s unique in every era :legend:  

StrawberryBlond

It's a cliche to say, but honestly, the 2009 VMA performance. The reason for this is simple: other popstars only knew how to shock by using s-x. Apart from Madonna's brief political controversies with American Life, she was all about s-xual shock as much as anyone else. Gaga was doing the kind of shock that punks and rockers do - using violence (and later, with the Swine performance, gross-out shock). She was doing something that any other popstar would be afraid to do because it would ruin their s-xy image which was selling their music. We'd seen s-xual shock before with Madonna, Britney and Xtina, but it was just basic popstar shock tactics. Gaga's VMA performance flew in the face of everything a popstar should be. So, this was definitely the point that Gaga was no longer "an ordinary pop girl." May I add, that performance birthed a ton of new fans because this was the moment they realised she wasn't like everyone else.

Battle 4 Ur Life

Paparazzi is the correct answer I guess. At least for me It was the first glimpse of her true potential.

"We own the Downtown, hear our sound."

Archived