Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Born this way is really not a dark album at all.

VelmaDinkley

Featured Posts

I think the reason everyone, including myself, labels BTW as a dark album is because of the visuals of the era and how they felt when listening to this empowering piece of art.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Battle 4 Ur Life

I strongly disagree. The album cover is dark, the pictures from the booklet are dark, all the music videos are dark-ish, the tour was almost entirely dark and the production sounds dark-ish and draws several elements from Heavy Metal.

I can't think of a darker sounding song than TEOG. The retro production and metaphysical lyrics are anything but "soft and joyous" to me.

:duck:

"We own the Downtown, hear our sound."

PopBitch

The album evokes a melancholy vibe all through it.   The visuals were definitely dark for a lot of it.

Government Hooker, Scheiße, Bloody Mary, Highway Unicorn, Heavy Metal Lover are dark in nature. And of course the album cover in a literal sense. Electric Chapel arguable. The rest … :gaybunny:

not even the videos.

Quartz

There's just something about a lot of the songs on the album that makes them feel gritty and industrial, like I don't even know how to describe them :duck: When I listen to them I imagine smoke and gunmetal :rockstar: 

The Fame Monster is dark too in my opinion, but that's a different type for me. That album makes me think of winter and coldness and mystery :flutter: 

​I agree, BTW makes me imagine a dark factory or a dark enchanted metallic forest. But when I listen to TFM, it's a sophisticated kind of dark, you know? :duck:

Inside, we are really made the same. 🕊

Alien Tulip

tbh we need to stop calling things "dark"

​We really do because born this way is really not "dark" at all :smh: So many cheesy corny songs on the album and the visuals were only dark for the first two months and then everything became so tacky and colorful with the wigs, fashion and the tour.

TimisaMonster

But the tone, sound, and imagery portray a darker concept and I agree with what Gaga was trying to portray...it was a dark album

Stream my new single, 💜"Heartbeat"💜, on Spotify!

Slade

​Where are the dark lyrics to me the only dark songs on ARTPOP are MJH , Dope and perhaps Aura to some extent lyrically.

​Swine is lyrically the darkest song on ARTPOP, imo.

Bradley

​I like when she twists the meaning of her work though; a song may mean one thing but then she makes a video for the song that makes it about a completely new idea. One of my favorite things about her. 

​That only works when it is interpreted goodly.

Tokyo Rose

I mean it is darker than the fame and ARTPOP but ya'll make it seem like it was her marilyn manson era when there was a lot of fun light songs/moments 

​It was her marilyn manson era visually lol. She sprouted horns all over her body for the lead single

VOLANTIS

Its a concept album and a lot would agree the whole vibe is dark. 

Come at me with PRISM okayyyy

I'll lift you 3 inches off the ground and drag you to a meter and a half

VOLANTIS

If Born this Way isnt dark, what is dark for you? Prism ?

:tea:

I'll lift you 3 inches off the ground and drag you to a meter and a half

SlaeUrAnus

I do agree, but some of the production and lyrics are dark. It is a album that expresses some dark, but also lightness in the whole self exeptance thing.

It is not as dark as TFM though. Highlighting issues like alcoholism, d--gs and self-esteem is pretty damn dark! 

In my messy era.

Archived