💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

ARTPOP under performed because of Born This Way.

Dorothy Gale

Featured Posts

Dorothy Gale

Born This Way sold over a million copies in its first week alone. Even if a portion of sales were caused by the .99 cent deal, it still sold a significant amount. Many people who bought the album had probably only heard the first single, and expected to like the full album. Born This Way, sonically was a huge risk. It was much more rock-inspired than many casual fans expected. This is why a few of the singles under performed compared to her last records. So when ARTPOP came out, many casual fans who were disappointed with Born This Way didn't buy. The whole Born This Way era was somewhat depressing in some ways. It was fun, but it felt very dark compared to The Fame, and such a quick change turned off a lot of people. I think if anything, ARTPOP appealed to more people, and made people more ready for Gaga's next album. I never heard people talk about Judas, You and I or Marry the Night, but people did seem to warm up to Do What U Want and Applause. I think people blame everything on the ARTPOP era, when it's not reality. 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dorothy Gale

Maybe it's just because ARTPOP is sub-par????????

BTW is a much better album.

I think maybe that's part of it. I like ARTPOP, but undoubtedly some songs aren't up to par, but the singles were great imo. BTW might be better quality, but it didn't have the same mass appeal as her past records.

As a whole era there were many factors that contributed to its "flop" including media, first week sales, Applause being compared to Roar, Gaga's management and mental health but I gotta agree with everything you said

You really enjoy posting, don't you?

:lolgaga: 

underneath the pine

Dorothy Gale

You really enjoy posting, don't you? :lolgaga:

I'm new, and have lurked for awhile, so I have a lot of things to express. 

I'm new, and have lurked for awhile, so I have a lot of things to express. 

Not judging hun, I'm also new :legend:

underneath the pine

As a whole era there were many factors that contributed to its "flop" including media, first week sales, Applause being compared to Roar, Gaga's management and mental health but I gotta agree with everything you said

^

Rat Boy

I honestly think ARTPOP was not that great of an album to keep it afloat on the charts. For most people the concept was awfully confusing and factors such as management drama did not help sales either.

"dont trust this crooked manipulative rat!" - @NichuuB

Dorothy Gale

I honestly think ARTPOP was not that great of an album to keep it afloat on the charts. For most people the concept was awfully confusing and factors such as management drama did not help sales either.

Obviously the concept, management and negative press affected ARTPOP, but I think Born This Way is the root of it all tbh. 

BTW has a part on its underperformance.

The mismanaged era and the not so good songs nailed it. ARTPOP is not a great album, imo. :coffee:

I can agree with you on some points, but not on others. Yes, Born In This Way was sonically a risk and darker than The Fame, but the general public had The Fame Monster in the middle. Singles like Alejandro and Bad Romance are definitely NOT as upbeat and fun as singles from The Fame. And I agree with what people said about ARTPOP being supbar. I love the album, but coming from Born This Way (my favorite Gaga album) it was supbar. ARTPOP also didn't have many single options. Applause and Do What You Want really were the only single options imo. Others may say Venus but to me that would just end up like G.U.Y, a good song but not radio friendly for the GP.

I really dont get the hate for ARTPOP. I think it's a great album, and I'm not just saying that because I'm a stan. If ARTPOP sold 20m copies, everyone would be singing a different tune...

I feel like the reason it underperformed was due to bad timing. Her image was pretty damaged during BTW, and if it wasnt for her health, she should have released it early 2013. Also, her manager leaving her half way through an era just left everything in chaos. Maybe the music was 'sub-par' but if she went through these issues with any of her other albums, they would have faired similarly.

EDIT: We should really move on from this tired topic anyway :laughga:

Dorothy Gale

ARTPOP also didn't have many single options. 

Born This Way had even less single options if you ask me. ARTPOP has songs that could have faired okay as singles, such as Fashion!, Gypsy or possibly MANiCURE. With Born This Way, the songs either had minute-long intros, or were just not radio friendly in the slightest, Americano, Highway Unicorn, Bloody Mary, Bad Kids, Electric Chapel and even Government Hooker would get no airplay. 

Archived