Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Madonna BANNED from BBC Radio1 for being "irrelevant and old"

Yves

Featured Posts

Get out of the goove! Now Radio 1 bans Madonna, 56, for being 'irrelevant and old' for its teenage listeners

d42dc64cf8e507ad0f75b645f2f840b8-e140388

Radio 1 has banned Madonna for being 'irrelevant and old' for its listeners
The 56-year-old singer has been dropped from the station's playlist
The singer's latest single has been available since December 20 last year
It has only been played on the station ONCE since its release

She has dominated the airwaves during 30 years as a chart-topper and is the most successful female recording artist of all-time, but now Radio 1 has decided that Madonna is an immaterial girl and just too old for its teenage listeners.

Despite her determined efforts to look – and sound – youthful, the 56-year-old has been dropped from the station’s playlist that determines which songs are played by DJs during the day.
Madonna’s latest song is Living For Love and has been available for airplay since December 20 last year.

Yet it has been played on Radio 1 just once – on January 9 when DJ Annie Mac played it on her evening show. But that was after 7pm, when songs not on the playlist can be broadcast.
The track is the first single from the mother of four’s new album, Rebel Heart. The station last night said the single had been omitted from playlists on the basis of ‘audience relevance’ and ‘musical merit’.

A Radio 1 insider said: ‘At the end of the day it’s all about relevance. It’s natural that as an artist gets older their audience goes elsewhere and Radio 1 has to reflect that.
‘The station has a duty to meet the needs of younger listeners. I don’t think the audience is losing sleep that it is not playing Madonna in the same way that it used to.’

The snub represents a remarkable fall from grace for the star who notched up 13 UK No 1s (more than any other female artist) between 1982 and 2008. She finds herself alongside Sir Cliff Richard, Take That, Kate Bush and Robbie Williams on a long list of artists who struggle to get new material played on the station.

Madonna’s single is being played on Radio 2, which caters for an audience aged over 35. By contrast, Sir Paul McCartney’s new single will be played by Radio 1 even though the former Beatle is 72. This is because the track is a collaboration with rapper Kanye West, 37, and pop mega-star Rihanna, 26.

A Radio 1 spokesman said: ‘Tracks are chosen on musical merit, and while around 40 per cent of the country’s 15 to 29-year-olds tune into Radio 1 each week, an artist’s age is never a factor.’

Radio 1's new policies were introduced in 2010 and since then they have never played anyone aged over 40 years old.
The last Madonna song that was A-listed on Radio1 was Celebration in 2009.

Link

iiqShBpAOCbFc.gif

Your thoughts on this move?
iiqShBpAOCbFc.gif

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
xoxo cupcakke

The decay is taking its final form. Let's all hold a vigil for those 25 years of godliness and the current 7 of mediocrity and decay

DeliciousGleefulDobermanpinscher.gif

Sounds like something The Onion would write tbh

If you see me posting like crazy, I'm either bored or procrastinating.

PicklePower

It’s natural that as an artist gets older their audience goes elsewhere

The ground?

MEGHAN TRAINOR | Katy Perry | Taylor Swift | Lady Gaga | Rihanna | Ariana Grande | Beyoncé | Nicki Minaj | Sam Smith

Vernier

Before anyone screams "ageism" on the part of the radio station. It's simply a demand and supply kind of thing. That channel caters to the young demographic and they're just not requesting to listen to her music/her music isn't popular with them, so they banned it. If anything blame the people. And it's only only Madonna fyi, they banned Fergie and some other artistes.

If Madonna releases another Hung Up that's a universal smash, i'm sure they'll unban her swiftly

Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn

Ageist... But part of me wants to think that if the music was better people would still be requesting the music. Pop is very youth oriented, and Madonna doesn't have her finger on the pulse of youth culture in 2015

Archived