Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

I reviewed Cheek to Cheek for my university newspaper.

OysterBaby

Featured Posts

OysterBaby

4/5 stars

Lady Gaga, a pop star who needs no introduction, has now surprised us once again by releasing- that’s right, a jazz album. After the somewhat disappointing release of her latest album, ARTPOP (which still reached number one), it seems that Gaga needed to take some time to recharge. “Heaven.. I’m in Heaven†she sings on the title track, and you can hear that she really is. Returning to her jazz roots and partnering with fellow New Yorker Tony Bennett, a famed jazz veteran, the duo swings their way through the Great American Songbook. The album was released at number one last month, and it could not have picked a better time, for it fits a chilly autumn morning or a relaxing evening like no other. At 28 and 88, it is true that Gaga and Tony make an odd couple, but I wouldn’t want it any other way. The age difference has no effect on the singers’ chemistry, and you can hear the two having a ball in the studio on tracks such as the upbeat and brassy “It Don’t Mean A Thing,†and, my favorite track, the electric, lively “Fireflyâ€. The live studio band adds another level to the album, presenting beautiful instrumentation which avoids sounding cheesy or stale. The album achieves a nice balance between slow and swingy, and Gaga shines on tracks “Every Time We Say Goodbye†and “Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered.†Tony defies his age on “Goody Goody†and “On A Clear Day,†a song about waking up and feeling optimistic, something many of us can stand to do this time of year. While Gaga definitely proves herself as a jazz singer on the album, there are points where she could stand to prove it a little less, sometimes belting a little too hard. However, both performers deliver memorable performances. The melancholy “Lush Life†is one of Gaga’s most impressive performances to date, and her cover of Cher’s “Bang Bang†made the front page of Reddit. After a flawless special on PBS last week, which can be seen online, and a number of upcoming European concerts, the duo continues to radiate class around the world. The album comes in several different editions, but the one to buy is the Target Deluxe Edition, coming with two extra tracks which deserve to be on every copy. Also worth checking out is the duo’s 2011 duet “The Lady Is A Tramp.†With the Grammys coming up, we will see if Bennett and Gaga can bring jazz back into the limelight in 2014.

Fiona Apple

4/5 stars

Lady Gaga, a pop star who needs no introduction, has now surprised us once again by releasing- that’s right, a jazz album. After the somewhat disappointing release of her latest album, ARTPOP (which still reached number one), it seems that Gaga needed to take some time to recharge. “Heaven.. I’m in Heaven†she sings on the title track, and you can hear that she really is. Returning to her jazz roots and partnering with fellow New Yorker Tony Bennett, a famed jazz veteran, the duo swings their way through the Great American Songbook. The album was released at number one last month, and it could not have picked a better time, for it fits a chilly autumn morning or a relaxing evening like no other. At 28 and 88, it is true that Gaga and Tony make an odd couple, but I wouldn’t want it any other way. The age difference has no effect on the singers’ chemistry, and you can hear the two having a ball in the studio on tracks such as the upbeat and brassy “It Don’t Mean A Thing,†and, my favorite track, the electric, lively “Fireflyâ€. The live studio band adds another level to the album, presenting beautiful instrumentation which avoids sounding cheesy or stale. The album achieves a nice balance between slow and swingy, and Gaga shines on tracks “Every Time We Say Goodbye†and “Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered.†Tony defies his age on “Goody Goody†and “On A Clear Day,†a song about waking up and feeling optimistic, something many of us can stand to do this time of year. While Gaga definitely proves herself as a jazz singer on the album, there are points where she could stand to prove it a little less, sometimes belting a little too hard. However, both performers deliver memorable performances. The melancholy “Lush Life†is one of Gaga’s most impressive performances to date, and her cover of Cher’s “Bang Bang†made the front page of Reddit. After a flawless special on PBS last week, which can be seen online, and a number of upcoming European concerts, the duo continues to radiate class around the world. The album comes in several different editions, but the one to buy is the Target Deluxe Edition, coming with two extra tracks which deserve to be on every copy. Also worth checking out is the duo’s 2011 duet “The Lady Is A Tramp.†With the Grammys coming up, we will see if Bennett and Gaga can bring jazz back into the limelight in 2014.

You should have said better things about ARTPOP ^^

evgenigerm2

After the somewhat disappointing release of her latest album, ARTPOP

:grr:  :grr:  :grr:  :grr:  :grr:

I also think so. The album is truly wonderful, but the promo wasn't good enough or something I don't know, it just wasn't successful. 

„I allow myself to fail. I allow myself to break. I'm not afraid of my flaws.“

as a journalist and critic, I'd suggest not using first person in future reviews and focusing more on the composition rather than previous successes/failures since you're reviewing one album and not the person

Wet Fire

Great review. :yes: Should've mentioned the gem that 'I Won't Dance' is. :whitney: Anyway, I appreciare this review. ;)

OysterBaby

as a journalist and critic, I'd suggest not using first person in future reviews and focusing more on the composition rather than previous successes/failures since you're reviewing one album and not the person

I appreciate feedback as this was the first album review I have written. I see what you mean about avoiding first person. Do you care to expand on focusing on the composition? I only briefly mentioned ARTPOP, and that was because I see c2c as almost a refuge for gaga where she is preparing for rebirth hehe

I also think so. The album is truly wonderful, but the promo wasn't good enough or something I don't know, it just wasn't successful. 

yeah, this is what i was hitting on. The actual release of the album, not the album specifically. 

Archived