other

Windows 10 Discussion Thread

Henry

Featured Posts

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Windows 9 to include interactive Live Tiles

Microsoft is still busy readying its upcoming technology preview of Windows 9, but details continue to emerge about the company's plans for the future of Windows. WinBeta reports that Windows 9 will include interactive Live Tiles and a notification center. Microsoft has previously experimented with interactive Live Tiles as part of a research effort earlier this year, and The Verge understands it's planning to include this work in Windows 9, currently codenamed Threshold. The Live Tile work, which is surfaced on the new mini Start Menu, coincides with additional changes to the desktop UI that Microsoft is currently testing. A notification center will also be present, similar to the implementation in Windows Phone 8.1 recently.

1404826956_18071401_06.jpg

Source : http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/26/6069665/windows-9-threshold-interactive-live-tiles-notification-center-features

VforVendetta

It's sort of exciting but at the same time every windows since windows vista has been perfect so why even upgrade? :legend: hopefully it never becomes trendy like apple, though. that would be lame if I couldn't go into the microsoft store without it smelling like a bunch of hipster kids.

Excuse me but Vista were too heavy and 8 were a mig mess. Windows XP and 7 were flawless. I'm praying that 9 will assemble the second and not the first ones.

Excuse me but Vista were too heavy and 8 were a mig mess. Windows XP and 7 were flawless. I'm praying that 9 will assemble the second and not the first ones.

I never had any issues. And Windows XP was so ugly :lmao:

Tbh  :smh: Windows 9 is looking promising so far! Hopefully they pull it off  :giveup:

CaliLilMonster

If they make it free, I hope windows 7 users can upgrade to 9 for free too.

But doesn't Microsoft make a ton off software sales? going from aprox $100 to free is going to be a huge drop in revenue.

VforVendetta

XP were legendary and they dominated for many years. Can't say the same about Vista (which everyone was in a hurry to change for 7 for some strange reason).

XP were legendary and they dominated for many years. Can't say the same about Vista (which everyone was in a hurry to change for 7 for some strange reason).

I don't like things based off of how they're trending or ~what's dominating~. If I like it I like it, and I certainly didn't care to switch from Vista to 7.

VforVendetta

I don't like things based off of how they're trending or ~what's dominating~. If I like it I like it, and I certainly didn't care to switch from Vista to 7.

It's not about style though. It's a fact that Vista was a much heavier software than the others. It's your taste to like it or not for any reason, I am just stating the facts and according even to microsoft, XP and 7 were superior software and sales-longevity prove it as well.

It's not about style though. It's a fact that Vista was a much heavier software than the others. It's your taste to like it or not for any reason, I am just stating the facts and according even to microsoft, XP and 7 were superior software and sales-longevity prove it as well.

Yeah but it was so pretty :flutter: 

Microsoft Accidentally Teases Windows 9 in China

windows-9-wallpaper-mockup-630x418.jpg

Microsoft still hasn’t confirmed its plans to start previewing Windows 9 later this month, but a recent teaser from the company’s Chinese division may have accidentally confirmed the new operating system’s name and one highly-anticipated feature. The news comes from Microsoft China’s Weibo account, where the software giant recently accidentally leaked Windows 9 and the return of its iconic Start menu.

The post was quickly removed, but not before being spotted by Chinese tech blog Cnbeta. The Weibo teaser included some unofficial wallpaper for Windows 9 (pictured above) as well as a bit of text apparently confirming the upcoming OS. â€Microsoft’s latest OS Windows 9 is coming soon,†Microsoft China hinted, “do you think the start menu at the left bottom will make a come back?â€

We’re still not exactly sure what to expect from Windows 9, though recent rumors suggest Microsoft could ditch the Charms menu, bring back the Start menu and put more of an emphasis on desktop mode. It’s also possible the new OS could offer direct integration with Cortana, the company’s newish digital assistant introduced earlier this year with Windows Phone 8.1.

Of course it’s still too soon to know anything for sure, but it looks like Microsoft may be gearing up to make an official announcement in the very near future. Rumor has it the company will release its developer preview as early as September 30, so it shouldn’t be too much longer before we get an official look at Windows 9.

Source : http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/09/02/microsoft-accidentally-teases-windows-9-in-china/

mess i have windows 8.1 and i love it :rip: i hope they keep it as it is with some improvements

Yea they are just adding new features like the start menu and adding a voice assistant  :worship:

Next version to be called 'Windows'?

windowsblue-100019270-gallery-100033330-

An interesting question is circulating online kicked off by Microsoft watcher Michael Gillett last Saturday: What will Microsoft name the next version of Windows? I know, that doesn't sound very interesting since people ask this question every time a new version of Windows is on the horizon. Besides, we already know the next version of the OS will be called Windows 9 (codenamed Threshold) just like we "knew" Windows 8 was the name for the follow-up to Windows 7.

But there might be more to it this time around. Could Microsoft be getting ready to dump all its various numbering and naming schemes and just say that all of its products are running Windows?

Not Windows 8.1, Windows 9, Windows Phone, or Windows RTâ€â€just "Windows." Gillett, who is based in the U.K., brought this up after noticing that a Lumia 930 commercial for the British market never mentions Windows Phone. The OS is referred to simply as "Windows" and uses that name to refer to Windows Phone, Windows 8.1, and Windows RT.

As The Verge recently pointed out, you don't have to go far to find more examples of Windows brands morphing into plain old Windowsâ€â€at least on the Windows Phone side. HTC's newly designed One (M8) for Microsoft's OS is simply called the HTC One for Windows, not Windows Phone.

But then when you visit WindowsPhone.com, you see Windows Phone branding everywhere on the U.S. version of the site.

Nevertheless, there are interesting reasons for Microsoft to just call all its various operating systems plain old Windows, regardless of device. First off, Windows Threshold(Windows 9) is widely expected to merge Windows Phone and Windows RT into one platform for smartphones and ARM-based tablets.

In mid-2013, Microsoft kicked off its Windows Everywhere campaign, which also didn't make mention of Windows Phone, RT, or 8.1. Everything was just Windows. It was an explicit attempt, as Windows watcher Mary Jo Foley explained at the time, to blur the boundaries between device types. "One experience. On every device. For everything in your life," went the campaign's tag line.

More recently in July, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella said Windows would converge and be "one operating system that covers all screen sizes," perhaps suggesting again that the naming convention for Windows may be consolidating, and not, as some took it to mean, that Microsoft would produce one OS to run everywhere regardless of screen size or processor architecture.

Ultimately we won't know what Microsoft's branding plans are until more Windows Phone devices come out minus the "phone" part. We may also see hints of the future when Microsoft reveals Threshold/Windows 9; Microsoft is expected to launch a public preview of the new OS before the end of September.

Source : http://www.pcworld.com/article/2603123/forget-windows-9-and-windows-phone-will-it-all-be-called-just-plain-windows.html

• Haroon unpinned this topic

Archived