💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Did the theme let ARTPOP down?

Rollercoaster

Featured Posts

Rollercoaster

Desperation is obvious. View it objectively. You seem a bit ... yeah.

Lack of theme

Lack of sonic cohension

Annoying vocals (badly edited) in some songs (Swine, Gypsy, Venus, ARTPOP...). I think the only songs where her voice really shines are Do What U Want, Sexxx Dreams, Dope, Aura demo.

Its a shame Fashion! Is so dull because the vocals on most of the song are really nice... well... in the bridge... but a bit strained in parts I suppose...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jenniferella

The fact that you said artsy already makes your point less respectable. :awkney:

Shut up  :awkney: There's no attitude needed here and it doesn't make you sound cool or right in the end.

And I disagree. She said she worked "so hard" on this record for years and all we got was basic lyrics and uninteresting sounds (except maybe for Aura, which isn't made by the people surrounding her). The fact that she is so pretentious towards her own work and then releases this OK-album that people didn't even care for (and let's not blame the media, if the album was good indeed, they would have recognized it's quality) makes the whole thing for her.

I'm a day-1 fan of hers and I just can't seem to recognize her since the beginning of ARTPOP. It's empty on all levels.

"I have been writing LG5 since I was 13"

Tropico

Oh so lol you don't quote me yet say stuff directed at me? Pathetic. :lmao:

And anyway I've made my point more than clear. You seem to be ignoring the fact that none of her albums all showed something about the theme. NONE. Yet you choose ARTPOP which just happens to be the album which didn't "slay". Pathetic. :lmao:

And you seem... Pathetic by clearly ignoring the facts given to you but are still focused on being bias. K. :lmao:

♢ Social Justice Enthusiast ♢

Its a shame Fashion! Is so dull because the vocals on most of the song are really nice... well... in the bridge... but a bit strained in parts I suppose...

Yeah the bridge and outro in Fashion! S-L-A-Y!

I always thought what was going to make ARTPOP Art Pop is that it was going to go beyond the music. The art wasnt supposed to be just in the tracks and the theme of them together as a whole, but in how those tracks were presented, music videos, the tour, the tech (wig, volantis, blabla) and most of all, the APP. But they were all ****ty and incomplete, most of all, the app.

Tropico

Shut up :awkney: There's no attitude needed here and it doesn't make you sound cool or right in the end.

And I disagree. She said she worked "so hard" on this record for years and all we got was basic lyrics and uninteresting sounds (except maybe for Aura, which isn't made by the people surrounding her). The fact that she is so pretentious towards her own work and then releases this OK-album that people didn't even care for (and let's not blame the media, if the album was good indeed, they would have recognized it's quality) makes the whole thing for her.

I'm a day-1 fan of hers and I just can't seem to recognize her since the beginning of ARTPOP. It's empty on all levels.

The sales =/= quality. :awkney:

And ARTPOP had okay lyrics and basic sounds? Yet The Fame is praised here? :sharon:

Oh but no of course it slayed so therefore it must be good.

And people wouldn't buy an album which the media trashed before even it's release just because Applause didn't sell as well as roar.

And how is it pretentious if it's true? It's just being a self-aware. There's a big difference. She is an artist and she is allowed to be proud of her work. That doesn't make her pretentious.

And to be honest what is what you're saying even relate to the theme of this album AT ALL. :awkney:

Benji

Yes the "theme" did let it down but then she also didn't make the most of the idea. Making a pretty basic pop album to attempt to bring it to life with artistic visuals is risky but also means the album on it's own is pretty weak and lacks a theme.

I personally think sonically it would have been better to explore the crossover genres more and make the album a real exploration of music instead of just pop but I think she had a lot of things holding her back this era so meh.

Jenniferella

The sales =/= quality. :awkney:

I'm talking about the critics.

And ARTPOP had okay lyrics and basic sounds? Yet The Fame is praised here? :sharon:

The Fame is her first album under the name of Lady Gaga, it had to be catchy yet she offered a lot of interesting performances from it + videos (Paparazzi being a perfect example). She was new and the dared it all, that how she got respected. Most importantly, it was COHESIVE.

ARTPOP,to me, was a downgrade if we compare it to BTW (lyrics, productions)

And to be honest what is what you're saying even relate to the theme of this album AT ALL. :awkney:

Because the emptiness of the album itself has to do with the "concept" she came up with. "My ARTPOP could mean anything", well it means nothing

The theme is SO CLEAR..m puting ART into POP. PERIOD.

EDIT: Even the very first major performance of the era was a clear indication of the theme.

It has a theme :yes:

But not properly showed tbh. Quite disappointed when I heard the album. There's not much 'art into pop' part.

Tropico

I'm talking about the critics.

The Fame is her first album under the name of Lady Gaga, it had to be catchy yet she offered a lot of interesting performances from it + videos (Paparazzi being a perfect example). She was new and the dared it all, that how she got respected. Most importantly, it was COHESIVE.

ARTPOP,to me, was a downgrade if we compare it to BTW (lyrics, productions)

Because the emptiness of the album itself has to do with the "concept" she came up with. "My ARTPOP could mean anything", well it means nothing

Okay well I just wanan say that I know for a fact that this album has a concept. Whether people like it or not doesn't have anything to do with whether it has or hasn't. :yes:

And I believe "my artpop could mean anything" means that this is art and this is pop. I've put them together. And like all art it's up to how you interpret it. Art isn't in black and white (not literally, figuratively) so when you have the art (in this case artpop) then you have to interpret it and apply it to your own life (hence MY artpop could mean anything).

And lastly I'd like to aplogise to you because I was unnecessarily b---hy to start with. And I'd also like to apologise to Rollercoaster because you (referring to RC) wasn't rude at all to begin with and I was the aggresive one. I just get fed up with the constant insults thrown at ARTPOP and Gaga on here sometimes that I retailate to those have done nothing. Sorry everybody. :hug:

gagarunner

So her wearing a fabric with the Mona Lisa on it is 'putting the art in pop'? No. As a theme this fell beyond (BEYOND!!!!) short, blame it on 'lack of promotion' or 'the app not being what it was supposed to' or 'troubled management'. Regardless of all these extra things, yea ARTPOP, according to gaga was supposed to be an experience, but the music should be able to speak for itself--and it falls flat. Saying the music is artistic to make yourself feel better about the album doesn't make it art. If ARTPOP was supposed to be about 'the experience' and clearly we got nothing close to that experience, she should have just not released it. I much would have rathered her putting this out for like free and making an unofficial 'project album'. Idk this album (music, era, everything) was just a huge disappoint. Hell, even people bringing up GUY--GUY is like her most desperate video to date. It saddens me to watch it actually. From her very clearly making herself out to be this huge victim, to the RHOBH cast, to whatever face tape they used to try to make gaga look hot and conventionally beautiful it was all just so cringeworthy. So when gaga puts her head on the Lego sculpture, that's the epitome of art, but when katy wears a dress that blends her into a painting, that's not art? Lol.

Jenniferella

Okay well I just wanan say that I know for a fact that this album has a concept. Whether people like it or not doesn't have anything to do with whether it has or hasn't. :yes:

And I believe "my ARTPOP could mean anything" means that this is art and this is pop. I've put them together. And like all art it's up to how you interpret it. Art isn't in black and white (not literally, figuratively) so when you have the art (in this case ARTPOP) then you have to interpret it and apply it to your own life (hence MY ARTPOP could mean anything).

And lastly I'd like to aplogise to you because I was unnecessarily b---hy to start with. And I'd also like to apologise to Rollercoaster because you (referring to RC) wasn't rude at all to begin with and I was the aggresive one. I just get fed up with the constant insults thrown at ARTPOP and Gaga on here sometimes that I retailate to those have done nothing. Sorry everybody. :hug:

I get your point. See ? wasn't necessary to explain it with b---hy gifs and everything.

I get what you are saying, I just don't feel this album for the reasons I exposed before. I don't hate it, I just don't love it as much as her previous works. I am not saying all of this because it's trendy to hate on her, I say this because I'm disappointed. After all, it's her career and she still has a sh*tload of fans behind her but I'll pass on ARTPOP, it just felt like any album, not Gaga's. I really hope she's taking the rock path with the next one, I want to feel her creativity again 

djBuffoon

I do think the theme let the album down. Not due to a lack of theme or that the theme doesn't resonate (it has clearly moved a lot of people), but because Gaga put too much faith in fans who not only took the title at its most literal (like some in this very thread) but also refused to make the effort in meeting the album on its own terms, and instead writing it off with a dismissive "it could mean anything, or nothing." There are indeed multiple themes and meanings that could be applicable to ARTPOP, and I'm glad that Gaga didn't spoon-feed any of them to us.

PopBitch

Taking inspiration from artists is not ARTPOP, you cannot simply put a picture of the Mona Lisa onto a piece of fabric and call it ARTPOP if so then a majority of artists that reference past art put ART into POP. Isn't it then fair to say Katy successfully pulled of what you class as ARTPOP in her latest video This Is How We Do? She incorporated PopArt, culture and took influence of past artists? :awkney:

Lets please keep it 100, she attempted to convey this message however it did not pull-off, I believe she really did have some great ideas,; the original VMA performance that never was seemed like she knew the direction she wanted to go in but sadly couldn't.

Attempting to belittle me because I do not believe in the concept , or lack of, of ARTPOP speaks wonders for this fan base and the messages Gaga preaches. ;)

Common sense answer that says it all.

So her wearing a fabric with the Mona Lisa on it is 'putting the art in pop'? No. As a theme this fell beyond (BEYOND!!!!) short, blame it on 'lack of promotion' or 'the app not being what it was supposed to' or 'troubled management'. Regardless of all these extra things, yea ARTPOP, according to gaga was supposed to be an experience, but the music should be able to speak for itself--and it falls flat. Saying the music is artistic to make yourself feel better about the album doesn't make it art. If ARTPOP was supposed to be about 'the experience' and clearly we got nothing close to that experience, she should have just not released it. I much would have rathered her putting this out for like free and making an unofficial 'project album'. Idk this album (music, era, everything) was just a huge disappoint. Hell, even people bringing up GUY--GUY is like her most desperate video to date. It saddens me to watch it actually. From her very clearly making herself out to be this huge victim, to the RHOBH cast, to whatever face tape they used to try to make gaga look hot and conventionally beautiful it was all just so cringeworthy. So when gaga puts her head on the Lego sculpture, that's the epitome of art, but when katy wears a dress that blends her into a painting, that's not art? Lol.

Another great post about the era.

And GUY had greatness to it but then other parts were meh like the RHOBH cast.

Rollercoaster

Oh so lol you don't quote me yet say stuff directed at me? Pathetic. :lmao:

And anyway I've made my point more than clear. You seem to be ignoring the fact that none of her albums all showed something about the theme. NONE. Yet you choose ARTPOP which just happens to be the album which didn't "slay". Pathetic. :lmao:

And you seem... Pathetic by clearly ignoring the facts given to you but are still focused on being bias. K. :lmao:

Biased towards what? I like ARTPOP. But its not an album.

Her albums have 1 or 2 tracks that only vaguely fit the theme but ARTPOP only has 1 or 2 tracks that do fit.

The mistake made was that she made an autobiography of the last few years and wedged that in to an album originally about aliens that then turned into an album about greek mythology and then about all of the above.

The fact that its running themes change means there isnt a cohesive theme at all.

I mean, surely if that was the case then make some sonic cohesion like the dirty sounds in btw... but nothing.

Its like an album from some amateur on the whole. I like it, except s-xxx dreams and j&d but it absolutely isnt a standout album. Theres less effort than the fame even.

Archived