💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Did the theme let ARTPOP down?

Rollercoaster

Featured Posts

Salvador Dali

I think the G.U.Y. Video was the most literal representation of ARTPOP. Mixing Low Culture (housewives) with whatever Gaga considers to be High Art (Roman/Greco influences, etc). :awkney:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tropico

Biased towards what? I like ARTPOP. But its not an album.

Her albums have 1 or 2 tracks that only vaguely fit the theme but ARTPOP only has 1 or 2 tracks that do fit.

The mistake made was that she made an autobiography of the last few years and wedged that in to an album originally about aliens that then turned into an album about greek mythology and then about all of the above.

The fact that its running themes change means there isnt a cohesive theme at all.

I mean, surely if that was the case then make some sonic cohesion like the dirty sounds in btw... but nothing.

Its like an album from some amateur on the whole. I like it, except s-xxx dreams and j&d but it absolutely isnt a standout album. Theres less effort than the fame even.

Look, the theme has always been puting art into pop. She's said it a lot and so have I and quite frankly I don't understand where you got aliens and greek mythology from? :sweat:

And I don't know if you saw my message to Dr Thredson but I'll resay it: I'm sorry about my rude and aggresive attitude earlier. You weren't rude to begin with and I was unnecessarily snappy. But I just get so fed up with the constant Gaga and ARTPOP bashing it makes me hostile to people who don't deserve it to begin with. But this isn't really an excuse and I'd like to say I'm sorry. :( :hug:

But all I have to say is:

1.This album is FAR from ameteur. It was quite the poetic story opening up a vunreable side to Gaga in which she told us about her life as well tried to put art into pop. Songs like Dope, MJH, Aura, Venus, ARTPOP are all very autobiographical and beautiful not ameteur.

2.The theme has always been art and pop (like most of her career) but people just got confused with it and therefore messed up the concept but the concept has been the same since day 1.

3.The album is a celebration of Gaga's career because Gaga's career = ARTPOP. So now ARTPOP was her main focus.

That's really all there is too it. A very good album with a beautiful story, concept and interesting concept too.

♢ Social Justice Enthusiast ♢

XoXoJoanneGaga

If referencing pre-existing art pieces makes your music more artistic then Jay-Z's "Picasso Baby" must be one of the great ARTPOP songs of all time

I agree, and to say it's about putting ART into POP? Where is the ART? :awkney:

So many of you are trying to objectify art. Which, of course, is impossible. I mean, how can you point to one thing and say 'that is art' and point to another and say 'derrrrppppp, that is not art'

Perhaps thats what ARTPOP was designed for, to start this conversation about "what is art?"

Just because the theme isn't as obvious as "BORN THIS WAY" and "THE FAME MONSTER" doesn't make it less authentic. 

All legendary albums have been cohesive with a theme in mind. From Thriller to Come on Over.

YAAAAAAS STAN FOR QUEEN SHANIA :legend:

Bleachella

Gaga's huge curls are inspired by the Venus de Milo :derpga:

I feel like the theme could have been exposed a lot more :yes:

The theme and idea is genius. The mismanagement and behind-the-scenes issues that were going on toward the beginning/middle of the era really messed things up, especially with the Venus to DWUW change. She basically had to create an entirely new era on a moment's notice, and she didn't get to fulfill her vision for Venus, which judging from what we got, would've been quite artistic. I wish she could've had the chance let the theme flourish from day 1.

I think that ARTPOP has many themes that are obvious but lacks an overall theme. But it flows well so it doesn't really need an overall theme

Tropico

I can't at people who say just because she took inspiration from classic art pieces makes it less artistic. :fail:

♢ Social Justice Enthusiast ♢

LadyCaligula

Taking inspiration from artists is not ARTPOP, you cannot simply put a picture of the Mona Lisa onto a piece of fabric and call it ARTPOP if so then a majority of artists that reference past art put ART into POP. Isn't it then fair to say Katy successfully pulled of what you class as ARTPOP in her latest video This Is How We Do? She incorporated PopArt, culture and took influence of past artists? :awkney:

Lets please keep it 100, she attempted to convey this message however it did not pull-off, I believe she really did have some great ideas,; the original VMA performance that never was seemed like she knew the direction she wanted to go in but sadly couldn't.

Attempting to belittle me because I do not believe in the concept , or lack of, of ARTPOP speaks wonders for this fan base and the messages Gaga preaches. ;)

You're right. The Art in Pop concept was lost. The Robert Wilson collab even got virtually no attention, too contrived. It was all contrived. That being said, I really like ARTPOP but it has no theme and she just blabbed a bunch of BS in interviews that make virtually no sense... i.e. culture club

I can't at people who say just because she took inspiration from classic art pieces makes it less artistic. :fail:

Everyone really does that though... and it was done very sparingly.... its not less artistic just less arty. Its artistic since its a work of art in itself but not putting any art into pop. this gets confusing lol

Archived