đź’™ HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT đź’š

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Did the theme let ARTPOP down?

Rollercoaster

Featured Posts

Rollercoaster

I get this feeling that the one defining black hole in ARTPOP is the lack of cohesive theme.

I mean, she was vague about the theme for so long, it turned out to be inspiration... each track is an anspiration topic for her.

The Fame had... fame... loosely...

Tfm had fear/demons etc

Btw had self acceptance...

ARTPOP has... well... nothing. Inspiration is open to interpretation so it was never going to be clear cut.

But we were expecting and were lead to expect a theme as clear as the ptevious trio of albums.

This is the only thing that let me down about ARTPOP because other than that its a bold middle finger to the expectations of a popstar.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
eifulien

I think ARTPOP is what you make of it. Kind of the opposite of the dark anthemic and preachy nature of Born This Way - it's an immature restless reckless celebration of freedom. Getting rid of all expectations and healing through the party music.

I'm just not sure that she should create a theme for the sake of having a theme.

The theme of an album will only sound genuine if she is feeling it. So, to me, the theme of this album is: this is me right now, this is what I'm going through. I'm happy with that, some albums will be like that. 

Tropico

OMFG SERIOUSLY? :fail:

People who say ARTPOP doesn't have a theme. :roll:

The theme is SO CLEAR..m puting ART into POP. PERIOD.

She's said it ALL along. She even had a bloody instragram post to explain it AGAIN for the 666 TIME! :sick:

EDIT: Even the very first major performance of the era was a clear indication of the theme.

♢ Social Justice Enthusiast ♢

eifulien

Besides, the album just feels cohesive and flows - music, themes, vocals.... (a lot of people say exactly the opposite about it, but for me it is tightly revolving around a one particular concept - it is just that the concept is extremely loose and could evolve (hence the ''anything''  :sweat:  :oops: )

So while I agree with most of the OP I don't think this is a ''let down'' for the album.  :monsterpaw:  :queenga:

Rollercoaster

The thing is that we will compare it to previous albums and her albums, to be considered a whole piece of work, need cohesion. In the past it's come from an overall theme.

All legendary albums have been cohesive with a theme in mind. From Thriller to Come on Over.

I think she tried to make Ray Of Light tbh.

MaybeKermit

Imo the theme is very post-modern.

Gaga always said that ARTPOP has no rules, no boundaries (just like post-modernists).

And that's what the theme is: there is not one theme, there's a network of themes,.....

Besides, the album just feels cohesive and flows - music, themes, vocals.... (a lot of people say exactly the opposite about it, but for me it is tightly revolving around a one particular concept - it is just that the concept is extremely loose and could evolve (hence the ''anything''  :sweat:  :oops: )

So while I agree with most of the OP I don't think this is a ''let down'' for the album.  :monsterpaw:  :queenga:

I agree... as an album it really flows. 

BTW is my favourite album but I think that the track listing is really choppy and doesn't have a consistent energy. 

Rollercoaster

OMFG SERIOUSLY? :fail:

People who say ARTPOP doesn't have a theme. :roll:

The theme is SO CLEAR..m puting ART into POP. PERIOD.

She's said it ALL along. She even had a bloody instragram post to explain it AGAIN for the 666 TIME! :sick:

EDIT: Even the very first major performance of the era was a clear indication of the theme.

Sexxx dreams, MANiCURE etc... theres no art in that pop. You cant just say it to make it true lmao...

Tropico

The thing is that we will compare it to previous albums and her albums, to be considered a whole piece of work, need cohesion. In the past it's come from an overall theme.

All legendary albums have been cohesive with a theme in mind. From Thriller to Come on Over.

I think she tried to make Ray Of Light tbh.

Uhh the theme is cohesive. She took her pop album and put art into it. What's so hard to understand about that? And how is it not cohesive if she did it throughout the era?

And I barely see what Brown Eyes has to do with fame. Or what You and I has to do with self acceptance. Or how Alejandro is the fear of s-x?

Dayman

The theme was fine - there just wasn't a lot promo and appereances that added strongly to it.

Tropico

Sexxx dreams, MANiCURE etc... theres no art in that pop. You cant just say it to make it true lmao...

and there is a fear of s-x from alejandro? There's a self acceptance message in You and I?

Like I said. The album was the pop basis because you know it's a pop album. And then she put art into her pop. Like performance into pop. And how she put famous artworks into her pop performance like at the VMA's.

So you expect Gaga to be like "Hey everybody this seashell bikini is my modernized version of the birth of venus seashell bikini! I'm wearing it to drive my pop performance foward with art! Is that clear? Should I explain it again?" :redface:

Rollercoaster

and there is a fear of s-x from alejandro? There's a self acceptance message in You and I?

Like I said. The album was the pop basis because you know it's a pop album. And then she put art into her pop. Like performance into pop. And how she put famous artworks into her pop performance like at the VMA's.

Lol alejandro? "Just let me go" "I cant be with you like this anymore" ""you know that I love you boy/at this point ive got to choose" "dont call my name" its pretty obvious.

Repeating that she put art into pop music doesnt make it true. Some performances, yes. Some videos and some tracks... but it isnt even most of the album let alone all of it.

Why are you getting aggressive?

Archived