💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
musician

Kate Bush

Pluto

What is your favourite Kate Album?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite Kate Album?

• The Kick Inside
    • Lionheart
    • Never for Ever
    • The Dreaming
    • Hounds of Love
    • The Sensual World
    • The Red Shoes
    • Aerial
    • Director's Cut
    • 50 Words for Snow

Featured Posts

I want to get into Kate. What album should I start with?

The Whole Story (which definitely isn't the whole story tbh), then whatever you like on there, listen to the album that the song is on.   :giggle:

I hope so  :ohno:

I also hope that this will lead to more live performances so that I will get to see her one day.

Um, you probably should start with The Hounds Of Love, It's her most famous album and one of her best. 

I hope so too! However I'm not getting my hopes up of seeing her live. 

anybody knows you can conjure anything by the dark of the moon

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cry1.gif  I'm freaking out for some videos of the first show!! I need to watch something cry1.gif

cry1.gif MY LIFE FEELS UNDER ICE cry1.gif

I've owned The Whole Story about 15 years, but only got in to it after I looked up the lyrics and watch the videos online.

Kate has great lyrics and interesting themes, but it's often not easy to make them out just listening to her high pitched singing. Like Madonna, her songs are greatly enhanced by her videos.

The Red Shoes might be her most accessible album for pop fans. Some of her handcore fans think it her worst, but that's because they're invested in her being experimental and anti-pop (like on The Dreaming and 2nd half on Hounds of Love).

The Red Shoes video impressed me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbbPPy_bNM4

I've owned The Whole Story about 15 years, but only got in to it after I looked up the lyrics and watch the videos online.

Kate has great lyrics and interesting themes, but it's often not easy to make them out just listening to her high pitched singing. Like Madonna, her songs are greatly enhanced by her videos.

The Red Shoes might be her most accessible album for pop fans. Some of her handcore fans think it her worst, but that's because they're invested in her being experimental and anti-pop (like on The Dreaming and 2nd half on Hounds of Love).

The Red Shoes video impressed me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbbPPy_bNM4

I always kind of dismissed TRS but I just listened to it the other day and it's quite good, I understand why people don't like it but it doesn't deserve the hate it gets tbh. The remaster sounds quite a bit better than the original too. 

Charli said her dream collab would be Björk or Kate so I think I'll download some albums, I don't know too much about her :flutter:

Concert synopsis, in case anybody wanted to know how it went. I found this online by the way.

The opening set- you'll have seen the photo of the stage bathed in blue light. The band are laid out on move-able rostra with percussion in the centre, keyboards to stage right (left as you look at stage), and guitars mostly on stage left. What you won't have been able to see is that the venue's back wall is visible and above the band are three arcs of truss, supporting moving lights and approx 16 L.E.D. diamonds which are used prominently in the opening section but which are unlit in the pre-set.

Part 1- "The Gig"
The show starts with the pre-recorded Lily dialogue in darkness. At the end, a sudden white flash from the LED panels and Kate leads her backing singers on from stage left (audience right) in and almost ritualistic trudge walk. Huge ovation!!!!!

As Lily starts, the stage is bathed in red light and the LED panels shimmer, like a gigantic window in a cathedral. On the chorus, pools of light surround Kate who is centre, whilst her backing singers move free-style on stage right. They look as though they are having a great time- especially Bertie. At the end of the number all light go out except for the follow spot on Kate. Eruption of applause!!!!

Hounds- the moving lights on the 3 arcs punch out strong spotlights on the floor, kind of giving the impression of light pushing through trees. Kate remains centre.

Joanni- the stage is bathed in red light and on the chorus the LED panels look like flames. Yellow light beams come from the arcs.

Top of the City- a more soothing blue state. The LED panels suggest New York skyline. Kate still centre but letting rip and looking very relaxed and pleased with the audience whoops of delight.

Running- as the vamp starts, the audience goes crazy and Kate looks pleased. The performance though is a little subdued. I was expecting a little more physicality here, but clearly in the "Gig" section it's all about letting the audience lap up Kate's presence and astonishing vocal strength.

Mountain- much as before but the band really hotting up. Kate steps onto the band rostra. "The wind it blows" creates the conceptual link to what follows... Confetti cannons fire out over the audience from both sides!

Part 2- 9th Wave

A guy comes downstage centre and starts to swing an instrument on a rope that howls- probably has a proper name- the lights strobe so that you can just see this storm-bringer, Unseen, the whole band (and Kate) roll upstage and the lighting arc trusses fly out. A very very effective projection screen flies in upstage centre about 5m above the stage.

A short film of a guy on a phone by a telescope, calling the coastguard to report the loss of the Celtic Deep- poignantly he says he needs to know they will help.

And Dream- the crowd goes insane as Kate appears on screen in life jacket in the water (as per the publicity shot). The singing is not live. A huge full stage blue silk rolls out and blue light reveals the "skeleton ribcage" set. 2 fish people wander around. On stage left is a standard lamp, sofa and TV as if shipwrecked. Blue lasers cross the stage and create a "crack" on the floor.

Under Ice- now the company enter from stage right in life jackets as the wrecked crew of the Celtic Deep. Kate enters stage left, led on by fish people. She sings the final verse.

Under Ice- the cast, led by Kate, form into a v shape "skating" on the spot- very effective. Kate is dragged upstage by the fish people. The crew grab ice picks and a chainsaw and hack at the stage floor. A trap opens right and Kate is "pulled out" from under the ice- blackout and then a short video.

Witch- wild strobe lights and a priest enters, berating Kate who kneels before him- then the "chopper" effect as a dolly with moving lights, huge smoke machines and flash red light is pulled back and forth over the audience at roof height for about 2 minutes with recorded voices of coastguard rescuing all but one woman- amazing!

Watching You- a huge truck (scenery on wheels) of a living room is dragged on- on either side the walls seem covered with seaweed and above the room the fish people are on a platform looking down (about 6m above the floor). Now comes the rather stilted scene with father (backing singer) and son (Bertie) at home chatting about sausages for tea and wondering where mother is. Father on left opens the door, goes out and as the door closes Kate is behind it- a very nice trick (false wall)- she is a ghost in the room. Father and son move in slow motion as Kate sings "unseen" by them.

Jig- another short filmed extract, then in the wild jig, cast bring on huge white silks which are pulled with sticks to create waves "breaking" from side to side- very beautiful. I was hoping for a little more dance here. A short film of Kate disappearing beneath the water desperately.

Hello Earth- back to the video for verse 1 as the stage re-sets. Now, a large red buoy about 3m high is centre and blue billowing silk covers the stage. Waves are projected over walls and cloth. Verse 2, Kate appears magically from the waves and clings to the buoy. At the end, in the chanting, fish people collect Kate and carry her, death-like, off the front of the stage through the audience.

Morning Fog- video: a hand reaches from above and Kate's hand emerges from the water- she is being rescued. Kate runs in from the audience and the whole company and band dance on joyously. Now I always thought Kate was returning as a ghost, but here she clearly has survived. Charmingly she indicates Bertie as she sings "I tell my son" and then the whole band when she sings "I tell my brothers". Truly uplifting and emotional. Blackout and a large red silk drops as a house cloth with a feather top right.

INTERVAL

Part 3- Aerial (I just loved this!)

A complete re-set. The band is now all upstage right including a beautiful black grand piano. There is a full stage backcloth used extensively for projection.

As the act begins, there are Scandinavian pine trees projected. There are huge doors (the ones on the front of the programme) open on stage left with a snow machine above. It is snowing and the vamp from "50 words" teases us.

Prelude/ Prologue- a wooden puppet enters and looks around. The doors close and he bangs on the door desperately. Kate enters dressed as a blackbird. Other cast members come in dressed sort of like monks. Bertie wanders on as the Painter. A large paper aeroplane is carried around sleepily.

Architects Dream- The doors are replaced by a large painting- also using projection- about 3m wide by 2m high. Bertie "paints" a sunrise. The wooden puppet goes to look around the band. Kate is centre, close to the band. The back projection involves huge birds in flight in slow motion- gulls, geese, blackbirds. Very beautiful and ethereal.

Link/ Sunset- the wooden puppet knocks over a ladder, upsetting the artist. Rather jarringly, the Painter tells him to "Piss off" twice. The puppet runs to Kate who mothers him tenderly. It begins to rain in projection and the golden landscape "runs" and becomes a red sunset. Stunningly beautiful. A full red sun slowly sets on the back screen. Kate is centre. As the climax is reached, Kate dances (a little tentatively but happily) and she is joined by the band with guitars and drums. The are on either side of Kate who dances around them happily.

Blackout.

Tal- the painting lights up. There is a silhouetted dancer representing a bird- very much in early Kate dance style. Kate appears beside the painting and sings her bird song. This is quite abstract!

Somewhere in Between- the chorus and the painter return. The lights are now deep sunset colours between night and day. Staging is quite simple here. Night falls and a huge moon rises on the back screen.

Nocturn/ Tawny Moon- Kate solo and Bertie singing to the moon. A tricky time: 3600 people have come to see Kate and here is a 16 year old lad singing a new song to the moon. He seems to have no fear though and sings with a strong trained voice. He is a bit gangly and fidgety but let's cut him some slack- the boy has balls of steel to deliver this song in front of this audience. Good on him!

Aerial- Kate returns and is dressed with a black feathered wing on her right arm. She is in her favourite spot centre. The birds are back. Then 2 archers on either side "fire" bows. On the back screen the arrows turn into fire, then flocks of birds. Just stunning! Things are hotting up. All the band wear bird masks. The chorus are all around as birds exploring the band and dancing. The wooden boy is dancing.

Kate adds in a section of "This blackbird", ingeniously tying 9th Wave to Aerial.

The doors return upstage and Kate goes through them. Guitarist solo rocks the building- the arcs return and the LED panels shimmer. The doors fly out and Kate appears on a wire, flying about 2m in the air with black wings. She is lit in strobe as she laughs wildly.

Blackout. Audience explodes!!!!!

Bows. Full company than Kate. Wild standing ovation!

Company exits and Kate eventually returns and goes to the grand piano to sing Among Angels A simple blue pool of light around the piano. Simple and effective.

Kate calls on the cast, tells us it's time for 1 last song. Cloudbusting. All just freestyle, band up on their feet, Kate centre. The audience are up and clapping. She gently asks"do you want to join in?"

All sing. The song finishes. Bows and waves. The company all exit together.

That's the show!

high heeled fem

Concert synopsis, in case anybody wanted to know how it went. I found this online by the way.

wow :giveup: waking the witch i am looking fwd to geez that whole 9th wave :giveup:

runs through audience is that through the whole stalls :omg: imagine seeing her waiting

IVE JUST MANAGED TO BUY TICKETS!!! It was pure luck! God I am the happiest girl alive

Lucky, have fun!

Thanks, I can't bloody believe it! Two sleeps to go!

Make sure you get the tour book, I've heard that's it's crucial if you go to the show. It has an amazing design from what I've seen.

Make sure you get the tour book, I've heard that's it's crucial if you go to the show. It has an amazing design from what I've seen.

it's so pretty :sara:

it's so pretty :sara:

I still haven't seen any scans of the full thing though. :giveup:

Archived