đź’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA đź’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

o<(0_0)>o What's the main reason for Gaga's fading popularity?

Quark

Featured Posts

1. Sex sells and that's something people who are involved in marketing should keep in their mind :ohwell:  Paradoxically, but in the times when you can watch any sort of **** online for free and most of the limits in the exposure of ****ography and s-x seem to have been crossed, s-x and s-xuality of the image remains one of the dominant reasons of commercial success of many products and artists. As Bebe has mentioned, you can clearly see how her move from The Fame to Born This Way was accompanied by a shift from traditional, conventional s-xuality of a thin blonde girl towards a more enigmatic image which most of the GP could not portray as something s-xual. 

2. Her media blackout of 2012. Although this may sound weird, but in the times when the informational and fame cycles seem to become shorter and shorter, and when, according to Warhol, "everyone will be famous for 15 minutes" Gaga committed a media suicide by withdrawing from any press contacts except for the launch of her perfume. Seriously, I doubt that even some of the biggest young solo acts would survive such a challenge :miley:  The Born This Way Ball tour was her biggest concert show yet, and she could establish herself in the media as a touring legend of the modern days with the right publicity. Instead, she was extremely silent and it all looked like she was turning a back on media. And when you are turning a back on media these days, the media could easily turn their back on you as well. In other words, she simply disappeared from the public eye for a year, which is a very serious test for your real popularity.

3. The marketing fiasco of ARTPOP.

No matter what the critics say, what the haters say and what many fans on GAGADAILY say, ARTPOP is a solid comeback record. With the proper promotion (not Gaga sitting on the couch and calling radio DJs) this could easily bring her back in the public eyes. APPLAUSE, DO WHAT U WANT and GYPSY are undeniably cool songs and could have made a great radio impact, followed by SEXXX DREAMS release this spring. Let's be clear: we all have seen how Troy Carter works and we know what he is really capable of. And what we have seen with ARTPOP in no way corresponds to a careful, thought-over marketing campaign. There were too many silly, impromptu moments which made her seem like a girl desperately trying to get attention while Katy and Miley were enjoying success "effortlessly". The marketing failure of ARTPOP resulted in a violent treatment of the record by media who were quick to create the "ARTFLOP" myth and label the project as a failure, giving this stupid opinion to the GP. 

To sum up, there is nothing dramatic with Gaga's position right now. She has a very special interaction with Fame. She has mastered it on such a high level, that even her fading popularity is bringing her news coverage and articles. Besides, her albums sales in the USA are at 9.2 M right now, and it's safe to say that her jazz effort with Tony and her next solo project will bring her to the elite club of female singers who have sold over 10 M albums in the USA alone. I think that a very important thing for her is to get rid of the prejudice she might have constructed in her head about Pop Music and Pop Industry. Most of her fans seem to be fans of Pop Music, and she herself started her career with the iconic "POP MUSIC WILL NEVER BE LOW BROW" which symbolized her intention to revolutionize pop music. It seems like she is turning her back on POP because they could not fully embrace her latest project, which might disappoint some of her fans. To finish on a bright note, she has a rather successful tour, a nice record with Tony Bennett and most importantly, a true talent which always makes the future open for her. And I love her and we love her and we will always cheer for this b*tch to sing and dance!  :rockstar:

Beautiful tbh  :applause:

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
britneylopez99

The GP doesn't want to hear about the whole art and pop mix, they just want some catchy pop music to jam to. 

Omegahedron

Honestly - primarily because her music was aimed and marketed at gays, women and teenagers, alienating the broader audience she had around TF and TFM. If I as a gay man feel a bit coy about telling people I enjoy her music, then I am sure the average joe-twenty-something is not going to be very willing to publicly announce their adoration.

Other major subsidiary issues which damaged (and are damaging) her popularity:

- She also suffered a lot from the accusations of being derivative / plagiarist during the BTW era - we all well remember how much damage the full mobilisation

- I think also some of her performances have come across more as 'stunts' to grab attention, which put members of the general public off.

- Also in a more minor way she has taken a controversial stance on certain issues - prominently fur.

- While she isn't a manufactured artist per se, the merchandising and branding of 'Lady Gaga' began to swallow things for a while, making the profit aspect of her career seem quite conspicuous.

The other key issue I feel is just that she has been a victim of her rapid success. People hailed her as the Second Coming of pop, and I feel that she indulged herself in this ("Album of the Decade" anyone?) making her seem somewhat conceited. The moment anything gathers that much momentum and popularity, anyone who is left behind immediately wonders why they have had that success, what is so special about that person and eventually vocally criticises them as overrated.

The hype and anticipation of BTW was never going to be met by the finished product, and I feel that probably punctured the overall view of her as a strong artist, but not necessarily in a good way.

I'm preparing a thread where I explain a theory I have been studying for like months now. And I think I could sorta predict Gaga's performance and according ro my research the best is yet to come, with the album after ARTPOP. :giveup:

Ill post it sometime soon idk

Post it

Ronk

Locally, I saw the effect of weak promotion.  On the day of the ARTPOP album release I went to the local Walmart.  The sales people in the music department never heard of the album.  There were no copies on display.  At my urging, they checked the back room and found about 10 copies.  Then I went to f.y.e.at the mall just before they opened for the day.  I expected to find a huge line because it was release day.  I was hoping to be early enough to get a copy before they sold out.  I took my camera to get a photo of the mob scene.  Instead, there were no customers except myself.  There were a few copies in the new releases section, but no big deal.   With any promo, the place should have been packed.  Gaga or ARTPOP were not mentioned on radio.

Any decline in Gaga's popularity is temporary.   With her amazing talent, she'll be just fine.

I live outside the space time continuum.

Miel

I think a big reason is the "shtick" (using that loosely) that made Gaga popular got overused and diluted by the pop masses. The unfortunate thing, though, is that the "shtick" was/is Gaga's genuine artistry, and over the years people just considered her "redundant" or "perpetual and uninspired"- not because she kept doing the same thing, but because she's always a bit weird and the general pop mass peers screwed that up for her.

Also, I sometimes I think her performances aren't as good as they used to be. But that's not something most of the "GP" nitpick, as most reviews continuously go on and on with praise of her performance and vocals (while always mentioning that that totally lifts her up beyond the criticism).

Also, media stigmatization (whether false or not). The Perez/Angela Cheng bullcrap really screwed up ARTPOP, and imo it was unfair.

3 points in and ready for more

Ronk

The Perez/Angela Cheng bullcrap really screwed up ARTPOP, and imo it was unfair.

There are people that actually follow them?  What a sad commentary on the state of humanity.  What I think is unfair are the so-called respected reviewers that bought into the idea that it's cool to hate on Gaga.  Those people sold out their journalistic ethics for the purpose of selling papers and magazines and making themselves look smart by writing only what they thought their readers wanted to hear.

Sakrai

There are people that actually follow them? What a sad commentary on the state of humanity. What I think is unfair are the so-called respected reviewers that bought into the idea that it's cool to hate on Gaga. Those people sold out their journalistic ethics for the purpose of selling papers and magazines and making themselves look smart by writing only what they thought their readers wanted to hear.

Most of those people have a job to do, and a family to feed. They are just doing their job. If the boss sees that other papers are selling with Gaga hate, they'll do the same because it's more lucrative. It's nothing personal with Gaga, that's just how this industry works. And Gaga knows this.

The good part is that there's nothing fundamentally wrong with Gaga, so this 'fad' of Hating Gaga HAS to eventually come to an end. Soon enough Gaga will be cool again and papers will praise her like they used to :party:

Oh, I'm just visiting-

Ronk

Most of those people have a job to do, and a family to feed. They are just doing their job. If the boss sees that other papers are selling with Gaga hate, they'll do the same because it's more lucrative. It's nothing personal with Gaga, that's just how this industry works. And Gaga knows this.

The good part is that there's nothing fundamentally wrong with Gaga, so this 'fad' of Hating Gaga HAS to eventually come to an end. Soon enough Gaga will be cool again and papers will praise her like they used to :party:

I agree.  But that puts these so-called journalists on the same level as tabloids.  They publish untruths for profit.  The OP asked the reason for Gaga's fading.  Disingenuous reporting has much to do with it and it is blatantly unfair.  Happily, I agree that things will turn around for Gaga.  Her talent is too immense for the haters to keep her down for long.

heavyMetalGAGA

I think a big reason is the "shtick" (using that loosely) that made Gaga popular got overused and diluted by the pop masses. The unfortunate thing, though, is that the "shtick" was/is Gaga's genuine artistry, and over the years people just considered her "redundant" or "perpetual and uninspired"- not because she kept doing the same thing, but because she's always a bit weird and the general pop mass peers screwed that up for her.

Also, I sometimes I think her performances aren't as good as they used to be. But that's not something most of the "GP" nitpick, as most reviews continuously go on and on with praise of her performance and vocals (while always mentioning that that totally lifts her up beyond the criticism).

Also, media stigmatization (whether false or not). The Perez/Angela Cheng bullcrap really screwed up ARTPOP, and imo it was unfair.

That's interesting! I've never thought about that before. I mean it was pretty obvious how Nicki, Ke$ha, Rihanna, Katy, and even a little bit of Beyonce were taking Gaga's imagery and watering it down for their own performances, fashion, and music videos. But since this is, and IF it is, Gaga's genuine artistry, then I believe that people will eventually learn to appreciate her again for that. I think she's just being tested by the industry right now. People are a little tired of her antics, but if she can continue to pump out good material and last long enough, I really believe she'll be remembered as something very special.

I'm just nervous she's losing faith in herself. The media stigmatization and all the Perez and management issues really seemed to affect her negatively last year. I hated seeing her like that. I'm just wondering where Taylor was during all this? I feel like he keeps her very happy, and I'm wondering what happened during those winter months of 2013. I know it's ridiculous to hold one person responsible for someone else's well being, but I'm just curious. Gaga deserves to be happy, she's done so much for a lot of musicians and fans out there. I bet Taylor reassures her of this, but I'm just wondering why it didn't work in those months. 

ARTPOP was a good album, but I feel like Gaga second guessed herself a little bit and listened too much to what everyone wanted. That's not saying EDM and dance music can't be great, but I feel like it was watered down a bit. I personally love a lot of the songs, but the album's theme itself felt like a step down for her. I'm hoping she pulls it together for studio album #4. Furthermore, I really think she needs to experiment more so she is able to evolve successfully and keep people on their feet. BTW was her best effort in experimentation. I would love to see her sink more into her rock and metal roots for an album someday. 

GagaDragon

- Doesn't surprise anymore

- People think only gay people listen to her which turns away a lot of straight people.

- BTW was a great album but the GP got sick of her after it.

- ARTPOP was just bad music wise and the GP won't look into the concept enough.

- People hate her because she is Lady Gaga and as soon as she declines then more people hate her.

CookieHWilson

Gaga is not selling as she used to. Therefore people perceive decadence.

Media destroys the artists that lowered their sales because it's more lucrative. People buy it because it's entertaining.

It's actually predictable. Culture Sociology understands this phenomena since like the 60's.

reference: Gaga's 2009 VMA

My thoughts exactly

Insta: pierfedericomiozzo

Shadow

Are you familiar with the law of Diminishing Marginal Utility? In economics, the increased consumption of a product, there is a marginal decline utility with continued use. Lady Gaga started not too long ago and already became the massive star she is known for world wide and for a time, millions came rushing to see what she was all about. In a lot of ways, she answered many of those questions and people found more qualities about her they were impressed by, liked, disliked, or outright rebuked. People consumed her art, her message, and her music, but the over saturation sort of unveiled the mystery. Just like when you buy the new iPhone or Samsung Galaxy, there will always be an upgrade to replace a product that will one day be obsolete. Not saying Gaga is obsolete at all but there is a lot of variety from people to choose from: new artists, returning artists, and artists presenting a different style that caters to certain audiences.

Now, when you say she lost popularity, that is subjective since she's still world famous by many accounts. How popular can you get when the world already knows your name? She still has millions and millions of fans that continue to buy what she's selling and spread her brand and influence.

Silence those demons... . đź–¤

Archived