Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Cheek to Cheek Album Discussion

giskardsb

Featured Posts

Morphine Prince

Gagas curse is that she became famous in a genre where the only thing anyone cares about is having a catchy hook. Pop songs can be ba--l as long as people can "pop their ***".

:tea:

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MikeGoneGaga

Exactly. And It's killing me how so many are convinced there's autotune in this song. They probably haven't heard music without it for so long and don't realize there's vocalists who can do things with their voices that most popular artists can't.

Both of these things, so true. Also, jazz is about all of the instruments and what they produce together (voice included). If Gaga's fanbase was more musical theater/opera/jazz oriented, I feel like they'd understand better. There's something better about the quality of her voice here that none of her previous records had that is absolutely beautiful. :)

Is it just me or do Tony's "lady" lyrics sound very cut off?

They are ---- it's just Jazz phrasing and the way he is interpreting the song

MikeGoneGaga

They are ---- it's just Jazz phrasing and the way he is interpreting the song

I know. (I've played Jazz music on piano since I was 13... :haha:...)

I enjoy a bit more of a flow than that personally. It was alarmingly abrupt for me given what Gaga had set up before hand when she sang "baby." Was curious if anyone else was experiencing it.

giskardsb

https://twitter.com/ladygaga/status/501741711781949441

That's how you record jazz. No overdubs, just do a bunch of straight takes and pick the best one.

I know. (I've played Jazz music on piano since I was 13... :haha:...)

I enjoy a bit more of a flow than that personally. It was alarmingly abrupt for me given what Gaga had set up before hand when she sang "baby." Was curious if anyone else was experiencing it.

Oh I see --- good for you :) I used to be the drummer in a 7 piece Jazz band and also for a Big Band

Yeah I had noticed the clipping but as it is a duet and there is a trumpet solo in-between I don't think it matters that Gaga and Bennett sing their parts differently.

One of the great things about Jazz is that it is a very fluid form of music and you have the opportunity to express yourself without breaking any rules mainly because there are no rules  :cool:

Willy Wonka

Exactly. And It's killing me how so many are convinced there's autotune in this song. They probably haven't heard music without it for so long and don't realize there's vocalists who can do things with their voices that most popular artists can't.

Both of these things, so true. Also, jazz is about all of the instruments and what they produce together (voice included). If Gaga's fanbase was more musical theater/opera/jazz oriented, I feel like they'd understand better. There's something better about the quality of her voice here that none of her previous records had that is absolutely beautiful. :)

Let's all calm down. I come from a strong musical theatre background (part of the reason why Gaga's lower harmonies in Anything Goes disappointed me) and I've been classically trained in voice.

Nevertheless, I hear what everyone is talking about. I heard it the first time I listened to the song. Yes, I know about dissonance and resolution in jazz. I welcome that kind of musicality and enjoy the embellishment. My issue is that the slide sounds unnatural. It sounds like pitch correction rather than untouched vocals. There's a metallic tone in the pitch change that is causing me to raise my eyebrows.

Am the only one not really liking the promo pics for C2C?

qCLMsBBR_400x400.jpeg

tumblr_n7bwknugi31rppdyro1_r1_500.jpg

I like these 2 and the 1 gaga used to have as her twitter background/header (in fact I thought it should have been the album cover). I know 2nd  pic above is fan-made.

"My people… need to let our bitchiness out. Otherwise, it turns to bile and poisons us"

Gov Hooka

her voice is sooooooooooooooooooo gooooooooddddddddddd :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

i personally preferred Gaga's vocal tones the better in Anything Goes rather than this cover, but so far the best showcase of Gaga's voice so far has been TLIAT for me. I hope she recorded songs with those kinds of vocals on the album. :oops:

MikeGoneGaga

Let's all calm down. I come from a strong musical theatre background (part of the reason why Gaga's lower harmonies in Anything Goes disappointed me) and I've been classically trained in voice.

Nevertheless, I hear what everyone is talking about. I heard it the first time I listened to the song. Yes, I know about dissonance and resolution in jazz. I welcome that kind of musicality and enjoy the embellishment. My issue is that the slide sounds unnatural. It sounds like pitch correction rather than untouched vocals. There's a metallic tone in the pitch change that is causing me to raise my eyebrows.

I AM CALM!!!  :excited2:  :excited2:

Just voicing my thoughts. :) I'm not really bothered by it at all though, I loved to hear it actually.

Justin Drew Bieber

I LOVE her vocals! She does sound like she has a cold like someone else pointed out in the thread lol, but nonetheless its amazing

Willy Wonka

I AM CALM!!!  :excited2:  :excited2:

Just voicing my thoughts. :) I'm not really bothered by it at all though, I loved to hear it actually.

I thought you were quoting Hocus Pocus for a second.

tumblr_mbuhsuaR4s1riqizno1_500.gif

I completely understand. I just didn't like that I was getting categorized as musically ignorant when I'm not at all. There's just something about that vocal slide that is throwing me off. I still haven't listened to the song with very good headphones yet, so maybe I'm hearing things wrong, but I noticed it right away. Nevertheless, I absolutely respect your opinion and we'll just agree to disagree. :hug:

• Admin unpinned this topic
  • Mills locked this topic

Archived