💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Gaga's Backing [lead] track (Lip-syncing chorus?)

EvilChromatica

Featured Posts

xoxoJohnnyGaga

Look i have no problem with her backing vocals in the chorus as i understand it is hard to sing and dance at the same time, BUT what i have noticed is they have gotten louder each tour: 

The Monster Ball - Gaga's mic was very loud and the backing vocals weren't very loud and we could clearly tell Gaga was singing completely live

The Born This Way Ball - Gaga's mic is still loud but the backing vocals have gotten as loud as the mic

artRAVE: The ARTPOP Ball - Gaga's mic seems to be lower and lead vocals have been added to the choruses for the first time example, Poker Face & Paparazzi

Im not complaining as i know she is still singing with the backing but i thought i would point out the changes throughout her tours

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interludicrous

Look i have no problem with her backing vocals in the chorus as i understand it is hard to sing and dance at the same time, BUT what i have noticed is they have gotten louder each tour: 

The Monster Ball - Gaga's mic was very loud and the backing vocals weren't very loud and we could clearly tell Gaga was singing completely live

The Born This Way Ball - Gaga's mic is still loud but the backing vocals have gotten as loud as the mic

artRAVE: The ARTPOP Ball - Gaga's mic seems to be lower and lead vocals have been added to the choruses for the first time example, Poker Face & Paparazzi

Im not complaining as i know she is still singing with the backing but i thought i would point out the changes throughout her tours

There have been very few performances of Bad Romance or Telephone where her real voice was louder than her backing track, even at The Monster Ball. And even the pre-chorus of Applause - which isn't THAT hard to sing for her - mainly consists of backing vocals. Maybe it's just an insecurity of her?

It's especially clear when she finishes a chorus with heavy backing track and then starts singing again during a verse. The tone of her voice oftentimes doesn't match that of the chorus.

Whatever the reason is, it looks lazy and hypocritical of her to use backingtracks in places where she doesn't even need it. She has shown multiple times that she has the voice to sing those songs. I get that she needs to save her voice since she's doing so many shows, but I'd rather have less tour dates (or more spread out), than having her half-ass the vocals. 

Kermit the frog

From the recordings I can only hear her in verses, the choruses sound like full playback :(

xoxoJohnnyGaga

There have been very few performances of Bad Romance or Telephone where her real voice was louder than her backing track, even at The Monster Ball. And even the pre-chorus of Applause - which isn't THAT hard to sing for her - mainly consists of backing vocals. Maybe it's just an insecurity of her?

It's especially clear when she finishes a chorus with heavy backing track and then starts singing again during a verse. The tone of her voice oftentimes doesn't match that of the chorus.

Whatever the reason is, it looks lazy and hypocritical of her to use backingtracks in places where she doesn't even need it. She has shown multiple times that she has the voice to sing those songs. I get that she needs to save her voice since she's doing so many shows, but I'd rather have less tour dates (or more spread out), than having her half-ass the vocals. 

Yeah i get what you mean, maybe she's just become reliant on heavy backing vocals lately... but like you said, we all know she has the voice to sing certain songs like she could sing Paparazzi and Poker Face perfectly in the monster ball

Fabian5000

The things is, this is not a ArtRave problem, this is a Gaga problem. Just take videos from the BTWB, specially in Electric Chapel, or even Roseland, the backing vocals are MUCH louder than her voice

I was at the Roseland show

and you can hear her live vocals perfectly well :o

Interludicrous

Yeah i get what you mean, maybe she's just become reliant on heavy backing vocals lately... but like you said, we all know she has the voice to sing certain songs like she could sing Paparazzi and Poker Face perfectly in the monster ball

Actually I really dislike her performances of Poker Face on the Monster Ball when it comes to vocals :toofunny:

GagaMyBlood95

Good, I want all the people to see that she sings live better than anyone else :legend:

Pure Adrenaline

You can't make any judgment based on fan recordings

It's much more fun to have hizophrenia... u never get lonely

neilneophytou

This topic is one that I have often thought about myself - and I agree, the backing tracks can often be misleading.

It seems like they're relied upon more with her older stuff (Bad Romance, LoveGame, Poker Face etc) where her vocals were A LOT more produced than they are now. 

If you go back to older BR/LG/PF performances, where she was singing without backing vocals, as much as I hate to say it, she didn't sound that great :( - or perhaps it wasn't that she didn't sound great, she just didn't sound as good as the original tracks (again because they were all so much heavier produced than her current stuff).

In my opinion, she started using backing tracks more and more in order to get closer to the studio version sound and it must have just snowballed from there. 

I almost don't blame her.... if she doesn't use them then people will accuse her of being a crap live vocalist and when she does use them, people accuse her of lip syncing. Cant please everyone :P

Darcklighter22

I agree and I love that some of the backing vocals are louder because they bring more to the song, but yes a good balance to not drown out her mic feed would be cool...i'm sure they will tweak it as the tour progresses tho.

Well this is definitely live and she sounds AMAZING  :giveup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH2l0uHuQw4

SS77

Well this is definitely live and she sounds AMAZING :giveup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH2l0uHuQw4[/quote

I'm certain that the audio from that is from the Fame Ball. The Washington D.C. date to be exact.

Ahhh the days before backtrack became the norm for her.

HORRORHOLIC

I 100% believe it should be illegal to charge fans for a "concert" while using background vocals or lip synching. 100% no exception. If you can't pull it off live, it isn't live, so don't advertise it as that. Unless you've come up with something where you can pull it off. Singing a few lines here and there while pre recorded vocals play is one thing. But isn't much different than lip syncing.

Gaga fans should re watch this

Live "Mistakes And All" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q18QZiaA4Bg

MonsterVlad

Some of you didn't noticed but Applause pre-chorus, Swine and Aura choruses have all the vocals fron the studio version, not just backings :wtf:

• Bear locked this topic

Archived