Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

ARTPOP era similar to Madonna's Erotica era

Spanish Eyes

Featured Posts

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MonsterRocket

The comparison is not even close. Girl...Madonna really went ALL out with Erotica. Gaga's puke controversy is childs play compared to the Erotica music video full of bdsm imagery, her Sex book, her controversial interviews. Mind you this was done in the early 90s. It was not something a female pop artist did. 

No just no. 

First of all, i don't think the puke controversy was childs, even if it's compared to anything :awkney:

Then, i think the comparison is more centred on how these artists' works directed their careers at a certain point, we shouldn't compare the stuff itself.

I do see the connection. And not only that, the fact that a lot of fourth major releases by some of the world's biggest artists (from Britney to Beyonce to Xtina to Eminem to Timberlake to Rihanna, et.al) suffer a sales downturn speaks volume. Public interest wanes down, and it's mostly inevitable among musicians, considering the amount of new artists coming every year. 

I've always felt gaga could have done one more gp friendly "hits" album after TFM ( like a true blue) before releasing BTW. ARTPOP though is not a good comparison to Erotica. Maybe chart-wise but because the execution was so sloppy we will never know if it could have been a complete, full expression of gaga. She didnt have a guy oseary by her side or a dedicated team to fulfill her vision.

LilVenusian

ARTPOP to me is more like her "American Life"

-Only the fans really "got it", the critics and gp simply weren't here for it

-No really strong visuals or iconic imagery, people don't think of"American Life" when asked about Madonna, same goes for gaga and ARTPOP

- Although they had different lyrical content they both seemed to have their own, slightly bitter, rebellious agendas  e.g Madonna wanted to diss the Bush government and make some sort of political statement whilst gaga wanted to bring in all these polarizing art references, promoting people like Marina, vomit girl and Koons aswell as openly shading the corporate music industry in her music videos+interviews +performances 

Hauser

First of all, i don't think the puke controversy was childs, even if it's compared to anything :awkney:

Then, i think the comparison is more centred on how these artists' works directed their careers at a certain point, we shouldn't compare the stuff itself.

Yes it was childs play compared to the Sex book. When the book came out it overshadowed the Erotica album itself. 

When Gaga did the puke act it was only talked about for a small amount of time and the album went on running its course. 

Regardless there is no comparison between ARTPOP and Erotica other than they both underperformed on the charts compared to their previous albums. 

Madonna was intentionally doing everything possible to offend everyone so no. Gaga would rather cry on twitter about criticizing English papers or whatever the hell it was.

Basically Madonna went FULL ON BAT **** CRAZY. Not a single popstar of today has the balls to do what she did.

blacklistedd

I usually refuse to add any anything to any form of the whole Madonna/Gaga conversation but I will say that ultimately Erotica is a much more layered album than ARTPOP. Madonna offered an entirely different visual and musical aesthetic than she had on her previous records and she carried through with it from start to finish. It wasn't successful necessarily, but she had something to say (as pretentious and contrived as it may have been).

The thing with ARTPOP is that its not necessarily successful but, unlike Erotica, the album itself doesn't have much to say at all by comparison. Its just suitable Gaga-pop.

blacklistedd

I really don't know if I agree or not. Sure there are commercial similarities somewhat, but that's where it ends. Erotica was an album that brought together the marriage of extreme art and music together. I think Gaga is more about art for this album. 

Erotica was not about extreme art or music. It was ultimately an exploitation of s-xuality as a commentary on how people perceived her to be a s-lut. She was holding a mirror to their face to supposedly reveal their hypocrisies and shoving s-x down their throats as a form of rebellion. Human Nature continued that on Bedtime Stories.

I think Gaga has attempted to make an album that incorporated art into very commercial pop music, as an example, like what Andy Warhol did with the soup can but in pop music rather than on a canvas. To me the whole ARTPOP concept is so vague and open ended. Its like I get what she means, but exactly how did she expect to achieve that? I don't think it was a very good concept.

Erotica wasn't very deep and imo was totally contrived but its message was very clear and she carried through with it. Im not exactly sure what ARTPOP was supposed to achieve the way she went about it.

I can see some similarities, except Madonna brought a complete new sound with Erotica while exploring with totally innovative lyrics... on the other hand ARTPOP is only a reloaded version of Gaga's earliest works (aka The Fame)

Let me put you in check, Erotica's lyrics were not innovative. Its sound was not new, however its sound was new for her.

Sugarfall

Well I wasnt alive at that time, but that does seem kinda similar.

I don't see how it's comparable. Madonna was busy as **** and had many successful endeavors after Like A Prayer leading right up to Erotica. She was coming off her most successful era ever. The groundbreaking Like a Prayer album, Huge singles(4 number ones and 4 top tens); 2 hit films, probably one of the controversial and iconic tours ever and a highly successful greatest hits album. Then Erotica came out.

Gaga's timeline isn't similar at all. Born This Way started with a bang but seemed to lose momentum. Edge, You and I, Marry never really got that big. Her tour didn't come out till a year after and then lasted a year alongside a media black out. After the injury it was another 6 months of silence then Applause comes out, her first single in over a year in half. She was absent in the media for a long time. Then ARTPOP came out softly 3 months later. There is nothing really comparable to any era. Gaga's career is Gaga's career. Her "Hit" era imo was Fame/Fame Monster.

Excuse me but TEOG peaked at #3 and was huge in Europe BTWs decline started with You and I :manicure:

Psychedelic

Let me put you in check, Erotica's lyrics were not innovative. Its sound was not new, however its sound was new for her.

That's what I meant but didn't imply it correctly...  :shy:

blacklistedd

That's what I meant but didn't imply it correctly...  :shy:

Then agreed. Sorry to get sassy.

Well I wasnt alive at that time, but that does seem kinda similar.

Excuse me but TEOG peaked at #3 and was huge in Europe BTWs decline started with You and I :manicure:

TEOG was a marginal success and even then for the places where it was what you could consider "successful" the success of a song isn't only on paper. People didn't really care about TEOG. It wasn't something everyone was talking about and requesting. It wasn't a year end list favorite or much of a pop highlight or whatever the list goes on and on. It just existed for a second and went away and no one said anything about it lol

Sugarfall

Then agreed. Sorry to get sassy.

TEOG was a marginal success and even then for the places where it was what you could consider "successful" the success of a song isn't only on paper. People didn't really care about TEOG. It wasn't something everyone was talking about and requesting. It wasn't a year end list favorite or much of a pop highlight or whatever the list goes on and on. It just existed for a second and went away and no one said anything about it lol

Well I can only talk for my own experience but here it has become one of Gagas biggest hits and its still played on the radio frequently

blacklistedd

Well I can only talk for my own experience but here it has become one of Gagas biggest hits and its still played on the radio frequently

Where exactly do you live

Archived