Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

ARTPOP era similar to Madonna's Erotica era

Spanish Eyes

Featured Posts

Spanish Eyes

This thread is:

a list of similarities and discussions/clarifications of such

a space to try and relate Gaga's current situation to a historic era by someone of comparable pop notoriety

a place for pop music historians to put their skills to the test

This thread is NOT:

a place to bash either artist or even Katy Perry

a place to declare ARTPOP a "flop"

anything more than educated discussion; none of us are fortune-tellers, here, so let's not act like we know the future

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SIMILARITIES:

Releasing a highly anticipated lead single that failed to meet expectations - Both singles started out strong. "Erotica" debuted at 13 and then skyrocketed to 3, but it did not hold in the top ten very long. Likewise, "Applause" debuted in the top ten and remained there for 14 weeks, peaking at number four. While both of these numbers sound just fine out of context, many saw them as a disappointment for the following reasons. "Erotica" was the first Madonna lead single not to go number one since her first single ever. "Applause," apart from not going top 2 like Gaga's previous lead singles, was overshadowed by "Roar" its entire chart run and thus suffered in that respect. 

Low first week album sales - Erotica debuted with 167,000 copies sold, peaking at number 2. This number is significant because in 1992, album sales were much higher. This low of sales was surprising and disappointing, especially from Madonna, who had essentially owned the 1980's. ARTPOP opened  with 258,000 sales its first week, managing to peak at number 1. Although this marked the singer's second number one album, it was flooded with criticism. There were rumors that its "flop" had lost interscope millions, there was the fact that it opened below Katy Perry's and Miley Cyrus's new albums, and there was also the fact that the previous album, Born This Way, had debuted in excess of a million sales. In conclusion, both albums faced disappointing album sales.

*It's worth noting, though that Erotica went on to go double platinum in the US. Though much greater than ARTPOP's current sales, this number is still significantly lower than those of Like a Prayer or True Blue

A respectably well-known top 20 hit - "Rain" and "Do What U Want" both failed to crack the top 10, yet they remain key songs in the discography's of each artists. The music video for "Rain" is considered one of Madonna's best, and Gaga delivered a number of high profile performances for "Do What U Want," including the AMA's as well as a powerhouse duet with Christina Aguilera. 

Critical backlash Erotica was heavily criticized upon its release, with numerous people calling it the end to Madonna's career. The same has happened to Gaga in light of ARTPOP. Both albums represent the artist doing their "thing" to the extreme. For Madonna, it was the explicitly s-xual nature of her work that reached its climax with Erotica. For Gaga, ARTPOP has been the pinnacle of her "I'm an artist!" mantra. By associating herself with Jeff Koons and Marina Abramovic, she has pushed her ARTPOPiness (for lack of a better word) to the max. It's worth mentioning that one of Gaga's most culturally significant moments in the past few months has been the vomit performance at SXSW, arguably seen as the "weirdest," artiest project she has done. 

Can you all think of any others? How can we use this knowledge in our a--lysis of Gaga's career as it is? Please stick to logic instead of emotional reasoning.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dontbesweet

I mean, yes there are similarities.

And I suppose Erotica is a very well known Madonna album considering its success, and the ARTPOP brand is as strong for Gaga.

Hauser

The comparison is not even close. Girl...Madonna really went ALL out with Erotica. Gaga's puke controversy is childs play compared to the Erotica music video full of bdsm imagery, her Sex book, her controversial interviews. Mind you this was done in the early 90s. It was not something a female pop artist did. 

No just no. 

LORD GAGA

This seems like an unnecessary thread, with intent on causing flame bait. I recommend you close it before the mods do.

You come across as very pro madonna and meh Gaga... probably not intentional... but still.

Spanish Eyes

This seems like an unnecessary thread, with intent on causing flame bait. I recommend you close it before the mods do.

You come across as very pro madonna and meh Gaga... probably not intentional... but still.

No flamebait. That's exactly what I want to avoid. I started this thread because I see these similarities and I want other like-minded people to help expand upon that.

Furthermore, I love both of them equally. Gaga, Madonna, and Bey form my holy trinity, in case anyone was doubting my love.

Without the impact, Erotica's one of the most controversial eras in pop history

LADY GAGA/madonna/katy perry/little mix/ariana grande/selena gomez/britney spears/taylor swift

GagaDragon

I don't see it tbh, there are some similarities but nothing strikingly similar. Also Erotica finally got it's plaudits for being the great album that it was years later, i can't see that happening with ARTPOP.

From what i know their was backlash over Erotica was because of how controversial it was, the music wasn't the issue. ARTPOP doesn't come close in that regard and the music is not as good compared to her previous work.

L E O

No flamebait. That's exactly what I want to avoid. I started this thread because I see these similarities and I want other like-minded people to help expand upon that.

Furthermore, I love both of them equally. Gaga, Madonna, and Bey form my holy trinity, in case anyone was doubting my love.

No need to explain yourself. You have Frank as PP, this should be enough :legend: #RockyHorrorStan #FreePost

monketsharona

I don't really think Applause failed to meet most fan's expectations :shrug: I was happy with it

Applause is definitely her most sucessful thing this era (video and single) but it's a disappointment in terms of sales and impact comparing Just Dance, Bad Romance and BTW (previous lead singles).

But Applause is definitely a big hit in Lady Gaga's career ! 

Spanish Eyes

I don't see it tbh, there are some similarities but nothing strikingly similar. Also Erotica finally got it's plaudits for being the great album that it was years later, i can't see that happening with ARTPOP.

From what i know their was backlash over Erotica was because of how controversial it was, the music wasn't the issue. ARTPOP doesn't come close in that regard and the music is not as good compared to her previous work.

Subjective and emotionally based logic.

In my opinion, ARTPOP is her best album musically. There's no way to prove this, though, which you need to realize.

Erotica era was more, rash in my opinion. I mean, the worst gaga did was that she got puked on. Madge made a book with pics of her titties and erotic fantasies. They are similar in success, but how they got there is different

Subjective and emotionally based logic.

In my opinion, ARTPOP is her best album musically. There's no way to prove this, though, which you need to realize.

I think its a wide supported view that its the best produced in terms of sound quality

Illuminati Freak

The comparison is not even close. Girl...Madonna really went ALL out with Erotica. Gaga's puke controversy is childs play compared to the Erotica music video full of bdsm imagery, her Sex book, her controversial interviews. Mind you this was done in the early 90s. It was not something a female pop artist did. 

No just no. 

This exactly.  :manicure:

Archived